Wanted: M&G Online day editor
The Mail & Guardian Online is looking for a day editor to run the website and help lead the site's newsdesk and news team. Subbing skills are essential.
The day editor will report to the news editor and must implement the editorial strategy as determined in conjunction with the news and deputy editors.
He or she will need a strong background in sub-editing to ensure that all copy on the site is flawless, including wire and original stories by the online and newspaper reporters.
- Run the Mail & Guardian's site from 6am to 2pm Mondays to Fridays (the day shift)
- Take ownership of that particular shift, ensuring that all relevant procedures and outputs are observed
- Determine the news focus for the day and that news is broken timeously
- Copytaste and rewrite wire copy where necessary
- Publish articles, pictures and galleries using the Mail & Guardian Online content management system
- Train and guide junior subs and writers working the day shift, ensuring that all outputs published on the site during this time is of the highest quality and standard
- Ensure that social networks linked to the Mail & Guardian are kept ticking over during the day shift
- Contribute to daily news diary meetings and help with writers' work
- Be able to work flexible hours as necessary, including once a month on weekends
- Assist in the production of multimedia content where necessary, particularly in subbing captions and blurbs
Qualifications and experience
- Subbing experience is essential
- Appropriate post-matric qualification or equivalent, preferably in journalism
- At least five years' experience in a major news organisation
- Online experience would be an advantage
- Knowledge of media law and ethics
- First-class English language skills
- A firm grasp of current affairs, especially locally
- A thorough understanding of the Mail & Guardian news brand
- Very strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to quickly assimilate and apply M&G Online style
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure
- Leadership skills
Behavioural / attributes
- Sound judgement
- Team player
- Good communicator
- Handle stress and confrontation well
Send your applications here.
Deadline: September 15 2012.