National

Gauteng housing department to respond to Lenasia interdict

Sapa

The Gauteng housing department will argue against an urgent interdict preventing the demolition of illegally erected houses in Lenasia.

About 50 homes in Lenasia have already been demolished. (Oupa Nkosi, M&G)

The Gauteng department of housing will argue in the high court in Johannesburg on Tuesday against an urgent interdict preventing it from demolishing illegally erected houses in Lenasia.

The South African Human Rights Commission filed an application on Monday for an urgent interdict preventing the demolition.

The housing department began destroying the houses on Thursday and Friday. It said the land they were built on was meant for government housing.

About 50 houses had been destroyed so far and another 113 had yet to be demolished. The department said it was acting in line with the law.

On Monday, residents blockaded a road leading into Lenasia with rocks and burning tyres, in protest against the demolitions. They later cleared the road.

The demolitions have been widely condemned. – Sapa

Topics In This Section

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus