Lenasia residents whose houses have been demolished must be compensated, Cosatu Gauteng has said, while Julius Malema will visit the area.
Lenasia residents whose houses have been demolished must be compensated, Cosatu Gauteng said on Thursday.
Congress of SA Trade Unions provincial secretary Dumisani Dakile said it had noted what the government said about not compensating people whose houses had been torn down.
"We are saying it was premature for government to come to that conclusion," Dakile said during a visit by Cosatu officials to Lenasia.
He said the government would be approached about ways of coming up with a solution. One of these had to be compensation.
"This is a caring government and it can't act in this manner. It will be appropriate for people to be compensated," he said.
More than 70 houses have been destroyed in Lenasia extensions four and 13.
The Gauteng government had said the houses were illegally built on land intended for government housing.
Meanwhile former ANC youth league spokesperson Floyd Shivambu has announced that ousted leader Julius Malema will be paying a visit to the area on Friday November 23 2012.
"The visit comes as a result of the invitation by the affected community members," said Shivambu, via his Facebook wall. The two firebrand leaders were both suspended from the ruling ANC and have since been on a campaign to unseat President Jacob Zuma at the party's elective conference in Manguang in December.
"As Economic Freedom Fighters committed to socio-economic justice and stability of all communities, we openly and at all times associate with communities that are treated unfairly. Our visit to Lenasia is part of the struggles for economic freedom in our lifetime." – Sapa and M&G