Wanted: Mail & Guardian site editor
The Mail & Guardian needs an energetic, disciplined and team-playing newshound to run the site and help lead the site’s newsdesk and news team. Subbing skills are essential.
The site editor will report to the news editor and must implement the editorial strategy as determined in conjunction with the editor and editor-in-chief. He or she will also be involved in further crafting and honing the site’s editorial direction. He or she will need a background in sub-editing to ensure that all copy on the site is flawless, including wire and original stories by the online and newspaper reporters.
• Run the M&G site from Mondays to Fridays, and occasional weekends.
• Ensure that all relevant procedures and outputs are observed
• Determine the news focus for the day and that news is broken timeously
• Copy taste and rewrite wire copy where necessary
• Publish articles, pictures and galleries using the M&G content management system
• Ensure that all outputs published on the site during this time is of the highest quality and standard
• Contribute to the editorial and strategic direction of the site as a senior member of the team
• Ensure that social networks linked to the M&G are kept ticking over during the day shift
• Contribute to daily news diary meetings and help with writers’ work
• Be able to work flexible hours as necessary
• Assist in the production of multimedia content where necessary, particularly in subbing captions and blurbs
Qualifications and experience
• Appropriate post-matric qualification or equivalent, preferably in journalism
• At least five years’ experience in a major news organisation
• Subbing experience is essential
• Online experience would be an advantage
• Knowledge of media law and ethics
• First-class English language skills
• A firm grasp of current affairs, especially locally
• A thorough understanding of the M&G news brand
• Very strong interpersonal skills
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
• Ability to quickly assimilate and apply M&G style
• Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure
• Leadership skills
The appointment will be done in line with M&G Media Ltd Employment Equity Policy and the remuneration will commensurate with the position.
Applications should be addressed to the HR department: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: December 12 2014
If you have not been contacted within 14 days of the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.