No NPA disciplinary hearing for outgoing Prince Mokotedi
The former executive manager of the NPA Integrity Management Unit, Prince Mokotedi, will no longer face disciplinary charges.
The former executive manager of the National Prosecuting Authority’s (NPA’s) Integrity Management Unit, Prince Mokotedi, has been informed by the prosecuting body it is no longer pursuing disciplinary charges against him.
“No, I don’t have to go through it [the disciplinary hearing] anymore,” Mokotedi told the Mail & Guardian. “Actually they sent me a whole pack of forms to fill in, and told me they are no longer pursuing a disciplinary hearing against me.”
Mokotedi handed over his resignation letter to the NPA when his disciplinary charge sheet was delivered to him at his home in Pretoria last week.
The man who has controversially given radio interviews to tell his side of the story, was charged with nine contraventions, including gross insubordination, dissemination of false and misleading information, and bringing the NPA into disrepute.
“The forms the NPA sent me were resignation forms and an exit letter they want me to prepare,” said Mokotedi. “At the moment I am too angry to write up my exit report.”
Mokotedi was suspended seven weeks ago, and he went on air to tell Talk Radio 702 and Power FM that he was going to resign by August 1, due to internal NPA in-fighting.
Confusion arose as his resignation was not forthcoming on the due date. However, he told the M&G he had first wanted a guarantee that all the documents and emails on his confiscated computer would be returned to him.
The emails and documents were needed to prepare for his disciplinary and recover the work materials he had stored on his computer for his PhD in Social Research Methods, he said.
“I have now received the emails, but the guy who has my computer is only getting back sometime this week so I will have to wait for the rest of the documents,” he said.
Last week Mokotedi indicated he still intended to go through with his disciplinary hearing to try to clear his name. Following the news the disciplinary charges against him had been withdrawn, he sounded relieved at the development. Mokotedi now intends pursuing a pastoral career.
Nathi Mncube, spokesperson for the NPA, confirmed the NPA had decided not to pursue disciplinary charges against Mokotedi.
“We are not going to continue with a disciplinary hearing against him. The view was that he resigned on August 7, and the disciplinary was due to start on August 21. He had a 30-day notice period, and it would have been impossible to finalise it before he leaves the NPA. So we decided it was a waste of resources and decided against it,” said Mncube. “We also told him that he doesn’t have to serve his notice period and he could stay at home.”
The essence of the complaints against Mokotedi were centred on claims that he gave a report relating to corruption allegations against former prosecutor Glynnis Breytenbach to the South African Police Service (SAPS), said Mokotedi.
Breytenbach has since quit her job and joined the Democratic Alliance as a member of Parliament.
Some of Mokotedi’s charges were also believed to have related to clashes he had with the national director of public prosecutions, Mxolisi Nxasana.
One of the reasons given to Nxasana by former justice minister Jeff Radebe for the State Security Agency not issuing him with a top security clearance was that he had allegedly prevented Mokotedi from investigating him, interfered with his investigation and then disbanded the Integrity Management Unit. Mncube said that the integrity management unit had not been disbanded.
Speaking to Redi Tlhabi on Talk Radio 702 after his suspension, Mokotedi discussed the battles at the NPA and claimed it was divided into “Zuma and Zille” camps. Asked which camp he was in, he said it was apparently the Zuma camp.