The Mail & Guardian's weekly round-up of the country's hot-ticket events.
- Palimpsest, James Delaney’s second solo show, demonstrates the extension of his focus on organic forms and the contours they take. Delaney works over canvases featuring his older work, using their ideas to inspire new forms and meaning. WHEN Ends September 1. Gallery hours: Monday to Friday 9am5pm, Saturdays 9am to 1pm. WHERE In Toto Gallery. INFO 011?447?6543 or visit intotogallery.co.za
- Jazzing Around, which forms part of the build-up to the Standard Bank Joy of Jazz festival (September 25 to 27), features performances by Concord Nkabinde, Ernie Smith, Nia Pearl, Ladies in Jazz and Luyanda Madope. WHEN August 23 from 11am to 5pm. WHERE Ruimsig Stadium in Roodepoort. INFO visit joyofjazz.co.za
- Sandton Central Park’s eco-friendly music festival, the Rise & Shine Festival, returns this Saturday. Nokia Rise & Shine, with Obikwa Wines and Johannesburg City Parks, will plant one tree for every 50 people who attend. This year’s line-up includes Zebra & Giraffe, Matthew Mole, Nakhane Touré and Float Parade. WHEN August 23 (gates open at 8am). WHERE Sandton Central Park. Parking is available at Nelson Mandela Square and Sandton City for a flat fee of R10. INFO Visit riseshinefest.co.za
- Pravda Gypsy Swing DJ band are performing at the Bootleggers Electro Swing Party on Saturday. Expect everything from electro swing to vintage big band, jazz and swing, Fifties rock ‘n roll, rockabilly, nu swing, ghetto funk, Balkan, gypsy swing and more from DJs JP SiLVER and Django. WHEN August 23. WHERE Players Restaurant at the River Club, Corner Liesbeek Parkway and Station Road, Observatory, Cape Town. INFO Tickets R40 pre-sale nomadtickets.co.za. R60 at the door. Contact [email protected]
- Groot Geraak is the latest solo exhibition by photographer and filmmaker Gordon Clark. Groot Geraak (Grew up) examines the life of Quentino, a young boy growing up in Elsies River on the Cape Flats, an area that has been plagued by endemic gang violence. Quentino and his peers are photographed at various stages over a three-year period in an attempt to locate defining moments in their lives. WHEN Exhibition ends September 10. WHERE COMMUNE.1, 64 Wale Street Cape Town. Opening hours: Tuesday to Friday, 10am to 5pm, and Saturday, 10am to 2pm. INFO 021?423?5600, contact [email protected] or visit commune1.com
- KZN Music Imbizo is an independent annual music business exhibition and conference held in Durban. The conference collects various music industry stakeholders to map the way forward for the KwaZulu-Natal music industry. It is a platform to exhibit, network, share expertise and knowledge. Rolling Stone SA’s editor-in-chief Miles Keylock is giving the keynote address on the role of the media in the growth of the music industry and rapper ZuluBoy will speak about being an international artist. WHEN August 28 to 30 from 8am until 5pm. WHERE KZN Music House. INFO visit kzn-musicimbizo.co.za