Apply for a fellowship at the M&G Health Journalism Centre
19 Feb 2013 12:00 | Staff Reporter
The M&G Centre for Health Journalism aims to advance the quality of health journalism in Africa by:
- Engaging in the best practice of health journalism;
- Transferring health journalism skills to other journalists; and
- Providing health journalism fellowships and organising public discussion forums on health-related issues for journalists
FELLOWSHIP – CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
We have a vacancy for one South African fellow – a working journalist who would like to hone his/her health journalism skills.
This is a prime opportunity to learn by working with a team of M&G health reporters.
The fellowship will be for three months, starting September 2, 2013.
This is not a fellowship aimed at students; it's for a journalist currently employed by a media outlet with an interest in health reporting but no capacity to develop skilled health reporters.
The successful candidate will be hosted at the centre's offices in Johannesburg and will need the permission of his/her editor to be released for three months. We will pay a monthly stipend and cover travelling expenses to and from Johannesburg.
Following the fellowship, the candidate will return to his or her current employment and continue to receive assistance from the M&G Health Journalism Centre with reporting.
The successful applicant will:
- be a working journalist with at least two years' experience at a recognised media outlet;
- want to hone his or her health journalism skills;
- be able to produce story content which is of a high standard, accurate and fair, and ethically sound;
- be a self-motivator who can work independently and as a member of a team;
- have a passion for health-related issues;
- be a SA citizen or have permanent residence and a valid work permit
To apply, email your CV, a letter of motivation (one page maximum) and relevant story samples (maximum three) to email@example.com by June 30 2013. For further inquiries, please contact Mia Malan at firstname.lastname@example.org or +27 11 250 7447.
View the original online publication here