- Dilemma of the humanities
The humanities in South Africa are caught between a rock and a hard place -- John Higgins assesses the state of the sector.
- Humanities 'stagnant' for years
The first study of the field diagnoses a major crisis that threatens its survival.
- Restless natives, native questions
The humanities in SA will not survive unless we recognise they have sometimes been harnessed to political agendas.
- SA must hear calls for change in humanities
Two recently published reports have laid the groundwork for a white paper.
- Death of humanities will mean 'the dissolution of society'
Declining student enrolment and falling graduation rates are just two features that characterise the humanities crisis.
- Silence vs dissent
If we want to reconstitute the humanities and social sciences, we first have to critique them
- Still searching for the human
Humanities has to be more than developing civil society and good citizens.
- Way forward for the humanities
The groundwork has been done and it is up to academics and institutions to come on board.