For his first real taste of paid football, Gift Leremi, who was killed in a car accident on September 3, came on as a late substitute in a charity match against Kaizer Chiefs. Orlando Pirates, who had in the off-season promoted him to their first team, were trailing by a goal.
COUNTERPOINT: Are black editors savages incapable of comprehending the intricacies of "foreign" values such as press freedom? Thabo Leshilo reacts to Dali Mpofu's withdrawal of the South African Broadcasting Corporation from the South African National Editors' Forum.
The African National Congress (ANC) on Monday dismissed as "mischievous and fanciful" suggestions that it interfered in the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) board-selection process. The Sunday Times reported that ANC headquarters had ordered the party's MPs to accept a list of new SABC board appointees.
South Africa's Telkom said on Monday it was in talks with Britain's Vodafone and MTN, sparking talk it wants to sell its fixed-line business and its stake in cellphone operator Vodacom. Telkom gave no further details. Vodafone and MTN -- sub-Saharan Africa's biggest cellphone operator -- said separately the talks were at a "very preliminary stage".
Troubled British bank Northern Rock faced break-up rumours on Sunday as it sought to reassure panicking customers and investors following an emergency bail-out by the Bank of England. Worried customers besieged Northern Rock on Friday and Saturday to withdraw their savings -- despite assurances that it would not fall victim to the global credit squeeze.
The Gauteng branch of the South African National Civic Organisation (Sanco) will go to the police to find out whether Sunday Times editor Mondli Makhanya applied for amnesty over political activities during apartheid, the organisation said on Monday. Earlier this month, Sanco asked the National Prosecuting Authority whether Makhanya had applied for amnesty from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
The onus is now on Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang to "cleanse" her name and counter allegations levelled against her by the Sunday Times, the Media Institute of Southern Africa (Misa-SA) said on Friday. "Misa-SA believes that it is within the minister's moral obligation to publicly nullify the allegations and set the record straight," it said.
Businessman Cyril Ramaphosa on Sunday said he has no interest in joining the African National Congress presidential succession race -- this after the Sunday Times reported that Ramaphosa had joined the race. "I have no interest in standing for this position," he said in a statement.
Businessman Cyril Ramaphosa has joined the African National Congress (ANC) presidential succession race, according to weekend media reports. The ANC's powerful OR Tambo district in the Eastern Cape has formally stated that it will nominate Ramaphosa for the presidency. Regional secretary Mlamli Siyakholwa said that "we have been lobbying Ramaphosa, I must admit".
It was "unacceptable" for government bodies to threaten the withdrawal of advertising from newspapers, the South African National Editors' Forum (Sanef) said on Monday. It was "unacceptable" for public bodies to use this as a punitive measure to promote self-censorship, the forum said in a statement.
Minister in the Presidency Essop Pahad is not yet pursuing his opinion that the government should pull advertising from the Sunday Times, presidential spokesperson Mukhoni Ratshitanga said on Friday. He said that Pahad was only expressing a personal view and that it was not government policy.
The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) had demonstrated nothing but arrogance in pulling out of the South African National Editors' Forum (Sanef) over reports about Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang, said the Media Institute of Southern Africa on Wednesday.
The South African National Civic Organisation (Sanco) on Monday commended the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) for its "brave and patriotic decision" to break ties with the South African National Editors' Forum (Sanef). The SABC broke ranks with the forum in protest over its stance on Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang.
The South African National Editors' Forum will seek a meeting with the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) over a letter announcing that the broadcaster had broken ties with the forum, apparently over its stance regarding the publication of Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang's medical records.
The African National Congress (ANC) said on Wednesday it knew about Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang's dismissal on theft charges from a Botswana hospital in 1976, South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) radio news reported. The Sunday Times reported two weeks ago that Tshabalala-Msimang had been convicted of theft.
Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang's medical records, obtained unlawfully from the Cape Town Medi-Clinic, must be returned to the institution "forthwith", the Johannesburg High Court ordered on Thursday. Delivering the order in the case between the minister and the Sunday Times, the judge also said that all the minister's medical records on journalists' laptops be deleted.