Beuthin case postponed

A bail application by the two co-accused in former bouncer Gary Beuthin’s case was postponed in the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday because there was no interpreter.

Sog van Eck, appearing for Melanie van Niekerk, told the court that it had been placed on the record last week that the interpreter would not be available on Tuesday because he was retiring.

However, an alternative interpreter was not available.

Van Eck asked that the state ensure another interpreter be available on December 12 when the three will appear again.

Magistrate Stanley Mukhari said there would be no need for an interpreter as the case would be dealt with by a different prosecutor.

An interpreter was needed during the November 29 appearance to translate the Afrikaans evidence of the investigating officer detective, Piet Byleveld, into English.

Beuthin (42) and Van Niekerk (31) are accused with Warren Schertel (34) of attempted murder, armed robbery with aggravating circumstances, kidnapping and possession of firearms and ammunition.

Van Niekerk and Schertel are applying for bail.

Beuthin has not lodged an application but has reserved his rights to do so at a later stage.

He was released from prison on parole in June after serving 15 years of a 25-year sentence for kidnapping and assaulting his former girlfriend, Jill Reeves.—Sapa

Client Media Releases

Utility outages: looking at the big picture
UKZN scientists get L'Or'eal-UNESCO Women in Science grants
Springbok-mania hits MTN head office
Optimise your SMS campaigns this Black Friday