A post template

No image available
/ 19 November 2007

Bangladesh storm toll nears 3 000

Nearly four days after Bangladesh’s worst cyclone since 1991 killed at least 2 350 people, rescuers were struggling to reach some devastated areas and officials feared the toll could climb sharply. Media reports and Bangladesh Red Crescent Society chairperson Mohammad Abdur Rob said the death toll had already surpassed 3 000, and was likely to go up.

No image available
/ 19 November 2007

Smith: ‘We know what we’re capable of’

”We’re a Test team on the up” was the way Proteas captain Graeme Smith described South Africa’s innings and 59 run victory over New Zealand in the second Castle Lager Test on Sunday. South Africa bowled New Zealand out for 136 after tea on the third day, to clinch the match and the series with two days to spare.

No image available
/ 19 November 2007

Land inequality in SA a ‘ticking time bomb’

For more than a decade, Molefi Selibo has been sent from pillar to post by the South African authorities in a futile quest to own a plot of land for his family. ”Land to us, it is a very key issue. There is a hunger for land in South Africa,” says Selibo as he looks out across the rolling green hills of Muldersdrift.

No image available
/ 19 November 2007

Land Bank says treasurer not suspended

The head of the Land Bank’s treasury, Makgale Gwangwa, has not been suspended from duty, the bank reiterated in a quarter-page advertisement on Monday. the Land Bank said it had become important to ”set the record straight” amid ongoing media speculation about the situation at the bank.

No image available
/ 19 November 2007

Zim govt seeks 25% stake in mining firms

President Robert Mugabe’s government published a draft Bill on Monday forcing mining firms to transfer majority shareholdings to local owners, including giving the Zimbabwe government a free 25% stake. The Mines and Minerals Amendment Bill is expected to be presented to Parliament and to be approved before the end of the year.

No image available
/ 19 November 2007

More than 50 killed in Ukraine coal mine blast

Ukraine was on Sunday night mourning one of the deadliest mining disasters in its 16-year history as an independent country, after at least 56 people were killed in an underground explosion — with 44 still missing. Rescue teams said there was almost no hope of finding more survivors at the Donbass colliery in eastern Ukraine.