The murder case of baby Jordan resumed in its usual start-stop fashion on Monday with the court having to adjourn until noon to obtain two missing pre-sentencing reports. The Cape High Court also heard that an unnamed, privately engaged probation officer had shown no interest in interviewing Dina Rodrigues at Pollsmoor Prison.
A South African National Defence Force clerk accused of defrauding her employer of R1,1-million will go on trial in the Pretoria Specialised Commercial Crimes Court on June 28. The case against Zelda Wolmarans and co-accused Shona Heydenrych was postponed on Monday as Heydenrych’s lawyer was not available.
Police used a water cannon and rubber bullets to disperse street traders protesting in Durban’s Warwick Triangle area on Monday against the arrest of four of their fellows. The traders, angry over the arrest of four vendors who apparently did not have licences to trade, stoned police officers, passing traffic and police vehicles.
A man who has been on Sandton police’s ”wanted list” since 1999 has been found — in jail, serving a 12-year sentence. Police spokesperson Superintendent Lungelo Dlamini said on Monday that Lawrence Mncube has been in Modderbee Prison in Ekurhuleni since 2005, for robbery.
Uncapped Bismarck du Plessis will join the South African squad as cover for injured captain John Smit ahead of the Tri-Nations match against New Zealand in Durban on Saturday. Hooker Du Plessis becomes the 31st member of a squad that was hit by injuries in the Springboks’ 22-19 win over Australia in the opening match of the tournament.
After spending Sunday night in Johannesburg, the All Blacks arrived in Durban on Monday and the management sprung a surprise by naming their side to play South Africa in the Tri-Nations Test at the Absa Stadium on Saturday well ahead of time. Coach Graham Henry said there had been a number of difficult decisions.
The chief prosecutor of the Rwanda genocide court has requested that the cases of two fugitives indicted by the tribunal be transferred to European countries, where they are believed to be hiding, officials said on Monday. The cases of Wenceslas Munyeshyaka and Laurent Bucyibaruta had been sealed by the court until late last week.
A man on Sandton police’s ”wanted list”, whom police have been looking for since 1999, has been found — in jail serving a 12-year sentence. Police spokesperson Superintendent Lungelo Dlamini said on Monday that Lawrence Mncube, who has been in Modderbee Prison in Ekurhuleni since 2005 for robbery, was also wanted for four other crimes.
Internet usage in South Africa is skyrocketing. The number of active South African browsers on the web has grown by 121% from 1,8-million in May 2005 to 3,9-million in May this year. In the same period, the number of page impressions grew by 129% from 91-million to 207-million.
A 16-year-old Berlin student was so worried he would have to repeat a year at school because of poor marks he convinced two friends to storm his class and steal the report cards with his bad grades. The youth sat quietly at the back of the classroom as the two masked robbers, aged 14 and 15, burst in and threatened his teacher with a steel bar.