A post template

No image available
/ 6 April 2005

Els ready for Masters title

Ernie Els insists the bitter disappointment of last year’s Masters, when he was beaten by Phil Mickelson’s last-hole birdie, is behind him now. And the Big Easy is raring to go and finally add a Masters title to his two US Opens and British Open victories. ”My expectations here have always been to win the tournament,” said Els.

No image available
/ 6 April 2005

Emotional victory for Liverpool

Liverpool scored with a pair of early volleys to beat Juventus 2-1 in a Champions League quarterfinal match that commemorated the Heysel Stadium tragedy nearly 20 years ago. Sami Hyypia scored the first goal from the left side in the 10th minute. In another quarterfinal match, PSV Eindhoven came back to draw 1-1 with host Lyon.

No image available
/ 6 April 2005

Flatley gives up Reds captaincy

The Queensland Reds’ injured-plagued Elton Flatley announced on Wednesday that he is giving up the team captaincy, putting pressure on his stand-in replacement, Nathan Sharpe, not to defect to new Super 14 franchise Perth. Flatley missed the Reds’ past two Super 12 games after being concussed against the Crusaders on March 12.

No image available
/ 6 April 2005

Two die after plane loses wing

Two people died when a small aircraft crashed on to Vergelegen farm outside Somerset West in the Western Cape at about 2.20pm on Tuesday, police said. ”The pilot was performing flying techniques when one of the wings fell off,” said police spokesperson Captain Elliot Sinyangana.

No image available
/ 6 April 2005

Britons invited to bet on latest royal wedding mishap

It has already suffered a royal snub, planning gremlins and a last-minute postponement. Now, the British are being asked to bet on the next mishap to hit the wedding of Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles. The cheeky offer from a firm of bookmakers came after the wedding was put back by a day to Saturday to avoid a clash with the funeral of the pope.

No image available
/ 6 April 2005

Prince Rainier of Monaco dies

Prince Rainier of Monaco has died at age 81 after spending several weeks in hospital, officials said on Wednesday. The prince was in intensive care suffering from severe heart, lung and kidney problems. He had ruled Monaco since 1949 and was the world’s second longest-reigning monarch.

No image available
/ 6 April 2005

Marburg outbreak ‘not yet under control’

Angolan health workers in a slum outside Luanda were treating a new suspected case of the Marburg virus on Tuesday as a senior United Nations official warned that the outbreak of the Ebola-like epidemic is not yet under control. The virus has now also spread to Malenge province, which is on the border with Uige.