Forensic auditors have uncovered records of more than R25-million listed as having been paid to the ruling African National Congress (ANC) and its structures by Brett Kebble and companies linked to the slain magnet, the Sunday Independent reported. The ANC says it has not been quizzed about any such alleged funds.
Forensic auditors have uncovered records of more than R25-million listed as having been paid to the ruling African National Congress (ANC) and its structures by Brett Kebble and companies linked to the slain magnet, the Sunday Independent reported.
However, the ANC says it has not been quizzed about any such alleged funds, according to the report.
The investigations by the auditors—Umbono Financial Advisory Services and KPMG—into the pillaging of shares and black economic empowerment (BEE) fraud uncovered details of a range of consultants’ fees, loans and bonuses listed as paid by Kebble and his companies to a number of prominent individuals in the ANC and BEE circles, the report added.
Their reports also list apparent payments being made to the ANC totalling more than R25-million, including R5 570 000 to the ANC in the Western Cape, R930 000 to the ANC Youth League and R250 000 to the ANC in the Eastern Cape.
Of these payments, totalling R6 930 000, at least R1,4-million was paid by Consolidated Mining Management Services (CMMS), and investigators are probing whether Kebble also claimed the rest from CMMS.
The ANC also features on a list of payments apparently made at Kebble’s instruction from a subsidiary company, Tuscan Mood, that is under close scrutiny by investigators, the Sunday Independent said. Tuscan Mood is listed as having paid the ANC R18 619 296.
ANC spokesperson Smuts Ngonyama told the newspaper the party had not been informed of any such official inquiries into donations made by Kebble or his companies to the party.
Several people who are prominent in ANC and business circles are also listed as having received payments from Kebble and his companies.
The Democratic Alliance has urged the ANC to “come clean” on the allegations that it received millions of rands Kebble and his companies.
DA spokesperson Douglas Gibson said on Sunday many South Africans were impressed last week at President Thabo Mbeki’s hard-hitting speech about social values. His condemnation of the “get rich at all costs” sickness was particularly impressive.
However, the ANC government is becoming known for never-ending sleaze, Gibson said.
It has never come clean about the so-called Oilgate scandal, former deputy president Jacob Zuma’s problems are well known, the arms deal seems murky to say the least, and now there is the Kebble millions.
“It is time for the ANC to come clean. If they received an improper advantage with money which should have gone to the Kebble creditors, the ANC must pay it back.
“If they do not, President Mbeki’s fine words will be revealed as nothing more than pious and pompous platitudes,” Gibson said.