Eastern cape circumcision death toll nears 50

Four more boys have died because of botched circumcisions in the Eastern Cape, bringing the death toll to 49, health officials said on Friday.

“Three of the boys died in Mdantsane in East London and the other in Mount Ayliff last week,” Health Department spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said.

“These cases were only reported to us today [Friday],” he said.

Earlier on Friday, when another case was reported to the South African Press Association, Kupelo said he believed the programmes put in place to curb deaths during the circumcision period were working in some areas.

The department would stop at nothing to ensure they effectively dealt with the issue.

Kupelo again appealed for community assistance in identifying illegal initiation schools, where most of the boys’ lives were put at risk.—Sapa

. .

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus

Client Media Releases

Pragma scores impressive marks for enterprise development
Sanral's intelligent transportation system wins SAICE award
ITWeb Brainstorm joins MTN's Women in ICT Awards
Upskilling in the age of the expert entrepreneur
Complex marketplace demands 'smart strategy'
Orphan Daniel Frank shines with Pragma bursary
Sanral concludes wild week
Preparing e-mail archives for a cloud migration