Malema tender probe still not concluded

A probe into tenders awarded to companies said to involve African National Congress Youth League president Julius Malema will only be released by the end of July or shortly thereafter, the Office of Public Protector said on Monday.

“To date, investigations have been conducted at six of the municipalities. The outstanding four municipalities will be attended to during July,” it said in a statement.

Public Protector Thuli Madonsela initially indicated that an interim report would be released by June 30.

However, her office later said there would be no interim report, only a final report.

It said the probe into tenders allegedly awarded by 10 municipalities was taking longer than expected to complete because of, among other things, the scope of work involved.

Interviews and site visits had been conducted, and copies of tender documents gathered.

Madonsela’s office announced in March that it intended investigating tenders awarded to the company SGL Engineering Projects, on whose board Malema apparently served as a director.

The probe would focus on whether there was improper conduct in the awarding or management of the contracts.

The tenders included a R2,1-million sewerage upgrade; a R39,3-million sewerage reticulation project; a R27,9-million street-paving and drainage contract; a R28-million tender for several municipal infrastructure projects; and a R2-billion roads tender.

At the time, Masibi said the decision to investigate followed complaints by AfriForum Youth and the Congress of the People.

Malema has denied receiving any lucrative tenders, including any through SGL Engineering Projects.—Sapa



blog comments powered by Disqus

Client Media Releases

NWU helps to fight malnutrition
Tiger Brands certified as a top employer
iStore to launch Apple Nike+ Watch in SA
MTN Business supports SA's entrepreneurs