Charges dropped against two school rape accused

Charges against two boys who allegedly drugged and raped a Johannesburg schoolgirl have been dropped due to a lack of evidence, the National Prosecuting Authority said on Tuesday.

“As much as we appreciate the sensitivity of the matter there is just not enough evidence hence the decision not to proceed with the matter at this stage,” spokesperson Mthunzi
Mhaga told Sapa.

“Due to the sensitivity and age of the complainant we cannot discuss the details in respect of the nature of evidence which is in police possession.”

Three boys allegedly gave “date rape” drugs to two girls on Thursday and then gang-raped one of them, aged 15, while filming it on their cell phones.

The alleged attack occurred on the premises of Jules High School in Jeppestown, during school hours. The girl only identified two of the boys and they were arrested on Monday.

Both boys are grade nine pupils. One of them is a pupil at the school where the alleged attack occurred and the other is a pupil at New Nation School near Auckland Park.

The NPA has requested that the police continue to conduct a thorough investigation and obtain more statements.

Once the investigation had been completed the NPA would decide whether to reconsider its decision or not, Mhaga said.



blog comments powered by Disqus

Client Media Releases

Gordhan gives nod to tolling
NWU helps to fight malnutrition
Tiger Brands certified as a top employer
iStore to launch Apple Nike+ Watch in SA
MTN Business supports SA's entrepreneurs