Wiese to appeal court decision to keep his millions

One of South Africa’s richest men, Christo Wiese, is appealing a United Kingdom (UK) court decision to confiscate R7,2-million seized from him at the London City airport last year, according to a report on Monday.

Wiese, the chairperson of Shoprite, is appealing the decision of the City of Westminster’s magistrate’s court to confiscate £675 000, which the court believed was associated with criminal activity, Business Report said.

UK customs confiscated the money from Wiese in April 2009.

Earlier this year, Wiese, told the South African Press Association he was carrying the money from his safety deposit box in London to his safety deposit box in Luxembourg, and that both countries were European Union (EU) members.

According to Business Report Wiese, in a statement issued on Friday evening, said he was appealing the ruling.

“A decision has been taken to appeal the ruling in which the court made an order for the forfeiture of the money on the grounds that the order is legally flawed and unjustified on the evidence,” the statement read.

According to the report a statement issued on Thursday by the UK Border Agency said Wiese “claimed he had transported the cash out of South Africa in the form of travellers cheques to avoid exchange controls there”.

The UK Border Agency can confiscate cash under the Proceeds of Crime Act if it suspected the money came from, or was intended for use in, criminal conduct.—Sapa

. .


blog comments powered by Disqus

Client Media Releases

Gordhan gives nod to tolling
NWU helps to fight malnutrition
Tiger Brands certified as a top employer
iStore to launch Apple Nike+ Watch in SA
MTN Business supports SA's entrepreneurs