News

Press Council starts review hearings

Staff Reporter

Members of the public have been invited to make submissions on ways to improve the South African Press Code, the Press Ombudsman said on Tuesday.

Members of the public have been invited to make submissions on ways to improve the South African Press Code, the Press Ombudsman’s complaints procedures and the constitution of the Press Council, the Press Ombudsman said on Tuesday.

The hearings would be held between February and March and members of the public should phone or write ahead to be scheduled to make their submissions, Press Ombudsman Joe Thloloe said in a statement.

Hearings will be conducted in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Durban and Bloemfontein.

In Johannesburg hearings will be held on February 17 and February 18 at the Wits East Campus.

These will be followed by hearings at the Port Elizabeth’s City Auditorium on February 21 and February 22.

Cape Town hearings will be held on February 24 and February 25 at the Naspers building. These will be followed by Bloemfontein hearings on February 28 and March 1 at the Braam Fischer building.

Hearings in Durban will be held on March 3 and March 4 in Greyville at the Embizweni room on Osborne Street.

At least three members of the task team reviewing the system will be at each venue.

Those who would like to give evidence should phone or write ahead to be scheduled. People who had already made written submissions when the process began last year were also invited to add their oral submissions.

Those people who want to observe the process were welcome to attend.

The task team would continue to accept written submissions until March 15 and anyone who wants more information could call Taryn Mackay on 011-484-3612/8.—Sapa

Topics In This Section

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus