The ANC Youth League plans to discredit ANC president Jacob Zuma by bringing up past controversies surrounding him to force him to rethink the charges being brought against league president Julius Malema and his top officials.
As ANC Youth League leader Julius Malema’s disciplinary hearing draws nearer, we took to the streets of Johannesburg to find out your thoughts on all things Juju.
By attacking Zuma, the league intends to force the ANC leadership to be lenient on those facing charges of violating the ANC constitution and bringing the party into disrepute.
Senior youth league officials told the Mail & Guardian that the league will ask ANC deputy president Kgalema Motlanthe to represent some, or all, of its leaders in a bid for heavyweight representation at Tuesday’s disciplinary hearing at Luthuli House in Johannesburg.
Facing charges with Malema are secretary general Sindiso Magaqa, deputy president Ronald Lamola, treasurer general Pule Mabe, deputy general secretary Kenetswe Mosenogi and national spokesperson Floyd Shivambu.
The league’s strategy at the hearing includes:
- Apologising again for urging regime change in Botswana;
In addition, a league strategist and senior ANC member told the M&G that questions about Zuma’s actions would be raised in the fightback plan, including:
- His fathering of a child out of wedlock by Sonono Khoza. “That issue was never explained to the nation. We are the highest HIV/Aids-infected nation yet the first citizen does not inspire confidence”;
Campaign for change
The strategist said that if Malema was found guilty and expelled from the ANC, his supporters would use this material to drive a campaign for leadership change.
“Julius represents a political grouping within the ANC and his future is linked to the strength of that group. He might be destroyed now but people will begin to rally around him. He will become the face of the revolt [against Zuma],” he said.
With regard to asking Motlanthe to represent the indicted officials, the ANC’s constitution states that any party member in good standing can represent a fellow member in a disciplinary hearing.
In his first disciplinary case last year, Malema was represented by ANC treasurer Matthews Phosa and some youth league leaders believe it would be unfair on Phosa to be asked to represent them again.
“If Motlanthe agrees, it would make things difficult for those who are driving the agenda to get rid of Malema and those who are perceived to be problematic within the youth league,” said the ANC leader.
He said another reason for approaching Motlanthe was to test if he was on the league’s side. “They [some youth league leaders] are worried that he said nothing during the recent NEC meeting when charges against Malema were raised. They’re not sure if he agrees with them.
“At the same time, Zuma’s supporters are equally worried about Motlanthe’s silence. They fear that he is keeping quiet now so that he can hit them at a later stage. He’s a very strategic and principled comrade,” said the ANC leader.
However, some youth league leaders believe it would “not be strategic” for the league to ask Motlanthe to represent Malema’s group as it would give credence to rumours of an alliance between them. The league has been lobbying behind the scenes for Motlanthe to replace Zuma as ANC president next year.
An ANC leader with close links to Motlanthe said that he would not agree to the request because it would “create problems” for him. “The decision to charge was taken by the officials. How do you then go out and represent the people you’ve charged?” the leader said.
The M&G has established that Motlanthe will be on an official visit to Guinea Bissau at the time of the hearings.
Meanwhile, it has been learnt that, at the NEC meeting, Mbalula complained about the manner in which ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe and Zuma were handling matters. Mbalula took particular issue with Zuma for deliberately targeting Malema and, according to ANC members who were present, openly taxed Zuma with failing to lead the ANC and government.
He also accused the president of allowing outside forces, such as the Gupta family, to run the ANC and the government on his behalf. Mbalula is said to have complained that he first learnt of his appointment as sports minister from the Guptas rather than from Zuma himself.
Earlier this year, the Sunday Times reported that senior ANC leaders had complained about the role of the Gupta family in influencing the appointment of chief executives and those to chair key state enterprises.
Mbalula also accused Zuma of turning his back on those who stood by him when he was in trouble with the law. “He said Zuma appeared to have forgotten that it was the youth league that put him where he is today. He did not understand why Zuma believed he was among those who are fighting him and reminded him that the youth league defended him when he was facing corruption and rape charges.”
ANC sources claimed Mbalula began to cry as he was speaking.
“For some of us, this [the charging of the league’s leaders] is a declaration of war,” said another top ANC figure.
There were rumours this week that some senior ANC leaders were circulating a list for an interim committee to lead the youth league in the expectation that the current officials would be suspended from the party.
League spokesperson Magdalene Moonsamy said the league’s priority was to secure political engagement with the mother body. It was not prepared to go into detail about its strategy.