Police say charges have been laid against the ANC Youth League in the Western Cape after Monday's protest began later than expected.
"The charge is failure to comply [with] regulations of the Gatherings Act," said Captain Frederick van Wyk.
Cape Town mayor Patricia de Lille said the ANC Youth League had failed to adhere to the starting time, 11am, for its march to the provincial legislature on Monday.
The league had been given permission to assemble at Kaizergracht from 10am on Monday. The march was to have begun no later than 11am.
But part of the group gathered at the wrong location, at the Salt River Station. Another group from Kaizergracht joined the protesters at the Salt River Station just after noon.
The police consolidated them into one group before the march proceeded.
De Lille said the league had violated two of the conditions in the Gatherings Act and the approved march application.
De Lille and Western Cape Premier Zille also laid charges against the youth league earlier in August after its march last month on the provincial offices and a claim in the memorandum handed in to her offices suggested that they would "make the city ungovernable".
This week Zille said the investigation into the charges they laid against the ANC Youth League had only just begun. "The investigation is still in its infacy so the premier is awaiting feedback and updates from the police as their work progresses," said Zille's spokesperson, Zac Mbhele.
At Monday's march, the league kept to its word that it would apply for the necessary permission and staged a peaceful march on the city route from Keizergracht Street to the Wale Street offices.
The police contingent in and around the city was large, and many of the police were wearing riot gear, which they told the Mail & Guardian on Monday had been purchased for the 2010 Fifa World Cup. – Additional reporting by Glynnis Underhill