DA lays charges against N Cape protesters intimidating schoolchildren

Cape Town mayor Patricia De Lille (M&G)

Cape Town mayor Patricia De Lille (M&G)

Despite an alleged three schools having been burnt down and schoolchildren continually being intimidated, no arrests have yet been made claim the DA.

No arrest has been made since the Democratic Alliance (DA) laid criminal charges against those preventing pupils from attending Northern Cape schools, Cape Town mayor Patricia De Lille said on Saturday.

"We demand that those behind the organised intimidation of schoolchildren be arrested immediately," she said in a statement.

"Where the police force is failing to ensure the constitutional right to safety and dignity for so many, then a provincial government must act decisively."

The case was opened at the Transvaal Road police station in Kimberley on Thursday, according to the Sunday Times.

A total of 41 of the 65 schools in the Johan Taolo Gaetsewe district municipality, which includes Kuruman, have been closed since June because of residents intimidating children. Locals had been protesting over a lack of tarred roads in the municipality.

An 18-page report, compiled by an education task team, was handed to Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga on the situation last Monday.

De Lille claimed that three schools had been burnt down.

She said hundreds of learners were relocated to an army camp and others to a secure location. – Sapa.

Topics In This Story

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus

Client Media Releases

South African tops FleetBoard Drivers' League 2015
AfroCentric renovates Charlotte Maxeke Hospital classrooms
MTN intensifying network improvement
SA's road transport sector under threat
Spectacular growth in tourism: Hanekom
Disability no barrier to academic excellence
MTN enhances information systems security