Harmony mine sit-in ends

Mine workers. (AFP)

Mine workers. (AFP)

A sit-in by about 1700 workers at the Harmony Gold Kusasalethu mine has ended, the company has said.

"After several discussions between the relevant parties, the 1700 mineworkers who participated in a sit-in at Kusasalethu mine returned to surface," said spokeswoman Henrika Basterfield on Friday.

The company said discussions would continue next year as the mine would be closed during the festive season.

The workers staged the sit-in demanding that their fellow employees, who have been suspended, be reinstated.

The employees and contractors were suspended after taking part in an unprotected strike last week.

Ten mineworkers were hurt on Thursday in a clash with security guards and police at the mine.

Two were suffering from inhaling tear gas and the other eight were hit by rubber bullets fired by private mine security and police.

Late last month two workers were killed and a third injured during violence believed to be the result of rivalry between Amcu and the National Union of Mineworkers.

Management, the recognised unions, and Amcu, have been in talks about ending conflict at the mine since workers ended an unprotected strike on October 25. – Sapa

.

Topics In This Story

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus

Client Media Releases

Putting Africa on the Internet Measurement Map
South African tops FleetBoard Drivers' League 2015
AfroCentric renovates Charlotte Maxeke Hospital classrooms
MTN intensifying network improvement
SA's road transport sector under threat