We are sorry, say the Guptas

The wedding of Vega Gupta (23) and Aakash Jahajgarhia, which took place in Sun City, caused a lot of controversy. (Supplied)

The wedding of Vega Gupta (23) and Aakash Jahajgarhia, which took place in Sun City, caused a lot of controversy. (Supplied)

"In light of what happened ... the family would like to issue a general apology to all affected, including the South African and Indian governments, the local authorities, the South African public and especially our guests." Atul Gupta said in a statement issued on Saturday. The Gupta saga: More coverage The Gupta wedding in pictures Pick: Your friends or your country, Zuma Guptas offer to co-operate with investigators Ministers - and Guptas - dodge plane blame He said his family was "simply trying to give [their] daughter ... a memorable wedding on South African soil".

"We also regret any incidents at the Sun City venue of which the family was unaware. The allegations of racism regarding the staff are definitely untrue. If there was an isolated incident involving any of our guest [we apologise] unreservedly to any party affected," said Gupta.

The Gupta's had used a national key point, the Waterkloof Air Force Base in Pretoria, to land a jet ferrying over 200 hundred guests for the wedding last week.

It was also reported on Saturday that blue-light vehicles were used to escort guests to Sun City, North West, where the wedding took place.

Nine officers arrested
Nine officers from the Tshwane Metro Police Department were arrested after they allegedly escorted Gupta family wedding guests to Sun City, the city's chief of metro police said.

"Our members have been arrested," said Superintendent Isaac Mahamba in a telephone interview.

Mahamba said the nine allegedly formed a contingent that used private vehicles illegally fitted with police blue lights, sirens and false number plates.

Several government departments have denied giving clearance for the jet to land at the base.

The departments have launched separate investigations into the matter.

Justice Minister Jeff Radebe announced in a televised broadcast on Friday that five high ranking officials and military personnel had been suspended over the unauthorised landing.

The suspended officials were: Chief of State Protocol: Ambassador Bruce Koloane, Officer Commanding Air Force Command post: Brig-Gen L Lombard, Officer Commanding Air Force Base: Brig-Gen TS Madumane; Movement Control Officer: Lt-Col C Anderson and SA Police Service Operational Response Services Gauteng Province: Maj-Gen Phumza Gela. – Sapa



blog comments powered by Disqus

Client Media Releases

MTN zero rates access to university online content.
Soweto communities to benefit from eKasiLabs programme
Sentech achieves clean audit again
NWU to offer Indigenous Language Media in Africa course