NPA won't comment on new charges against Pistorius
The NPA has refused to comment on reports that paralympian Oscar Pistorius faces two new charges of recklessly discharging a gun in a public place.
"All what you have here and the rest of the media is not from us ... so we cannot comment on it," North Gauteng National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Medupe Simasiku said in a text message.
When asked if this meant he was not aware of the two charges, he said: "Unfortunately we are not commenting on that."
News channel eNCA reported that Pistorius (26) is expected to face the additional charges when he appears in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on Monday.
It reported that the NPA had told Pistorius's lawyers of its plan to charge him.
According to the report, the first charge related to Pistorius allegedly firing his gun out of the sunroof of a friend's car while driving home from a holiday.
The second charge reportedly related to Pistorius accidentally firing his friend's gun in a Johannesburg restaurant.
Pistorius was charged with premeditated murder after his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp was shot dead in his Pretoria home on February 14.
During a bail hearing in February, Pistorius's defence read out a statement in which Pistorius said he thought Steenkamp was an intruder. Police said on Tuesday the investigation into her death had been completed.
National spokesperson Lieutenant-General Solomon Makgale said Pistorius would be served with an indictment when he appeared in court on Monday, and the matter would be postponed.
"The prosecution, in collaboration with the defence team, will agree on a trial date," he said.
"The South African Police Service's investigation team, under the leadership of Lieutenant-General Vineshkumar Moonoo, is convinced that the accused has a charge to answer to after they worked tirelessly to ensure that the investigation was finalised."
The investigation team comprised detectives and forensic, ballistics, and technology experts, as well as forensic psychologists. – Sapa