National

Competition head denies resigning following porn scandal

Sapa, Staff Reporter

Following claims Shan Ramburuth spent thousands of state funds on porn, the Competition Commission head has denied resigning over the allegations.

Competition commission head Shan Ramburuth. (Lisa Skinner, M&G)

Competition Commission head Shan Ramburuth has denied resigning in the wake of a pornography scandal, the Sunday Times reported.

According to the report, Ramburuth "spent an average of R150 000 an hour on a government sim card, some of it hardcore porn".

"As far as I'm concerned, I'm still talking to him [Economic Development Minister Ebrahim Patel] about it ... I have in my discussions with him, discussed various options," Ramburuth told the newspaper.

"I would like to conclude that [discussion] with him before making any statement."

Patel's spokesperson Manelisi Wolela, however, said following complaints "relating to acts of misconduct", an investigation by Patel had ensued. "Earlier this week, Ramburuth resigned as commissioner and as an employee of the Competition Commission," he said.

Wolela said the resignation would take effect on October 21.

Bill amount
The Sunday Times referred to a forensic report by Paul O'Sullivan and Associates, which detailed how Ramburuth apparently visited 25 pornographic sites between August and November 2011. His data bill in October that year – while using a government issued sim card overseas – came to a total of R123 000.

"The single largest data usage was on October 15, when he spent 291 minutes (just less than five hours) on pornographic websites," said the newspaper. – Sapa; staff reporter

Topics In This Section

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus