Dirco tackles travel restrictions after Sexwale's arrest

Businessperson and former housing minister Tokyo Sexwale. (Oupa Nkosi, M&G)

Businessperson and former housing minister Tokyo Sexwale. (Oupa Nkosi, M&G)

The department of international relations and co-operation (Dirco) would continue in its attempts to rectify the travel restrictions of ANC former freedom fighters in some international countries, it said on Monday.

"The South African government has repeatedly raised this matter with the US and will continue until this matter is sorted," said international relations spokesperson Clayson Monyela.

Over the weekend it was reported that ANC stalwart Tokyo Sexwale was briefly detained by immigration control at the John F Kennedy International Airport in New York.

His lawyer, Leslie Makhabela, said: "They alleged he posed a threat to international security."

Sexwale and many other anti-apartheid activists had been on a list of people banned from entering several countries since the apartheid era.

The ban has since been lifted but not all names have been removed from the list, Mkhabela told sabc.co.za on Sunday.

The businessperson and former housing minister had since returned to the country.

Taking the matter up with authorities
According to Sunday's report, Sexwale will approach the US government after he was briefly detained.

"He has instructed us to take the matter up with the authorities of the US so we will address the letter to the US embassy in South Africa," said Mkhabela.

Mkhabela said they will also send the copy to the state's departments requiring clarification on the status of this issue and also assuring that this shall not happen again in the future, the website reported. – Sapa; additional reporting by Staff Reporter



blog comments powered by Disqus

Client Media Releases

SENTECH enables digital terrestrial television migration
Gordhan gives nod to tolling
NWU helps to fight malnutrition
Tiger Brands certified as a top employer