The ANC has responded to the M&G's publication of the provisional Nkandla report, urging the public to "exercise restraint and caution" in commenting.
ANC spokesperson Jackson Mthembu released a statement regarding the Mail & Guardian's publication of Public Protector Thuli Madonsela's provisional report on Nkandla on Friday.
"The ANC notes and cautions the public and political formations on the report of Inkandla by the M&G today. The process pertaining to the Inkandla report as per the office of the public protector is still to be released by her office. Therefore what has been publicised has not been proven to be that report and neither has it been verified by the office of the public protector," said the statement.
The ANC said that South Africans should "exercise restraint and caution [in their reactions] until the public protector releases her report".
"As the ANC, we continue to have confidence in our president and we believe and know that he is not responsible for any wrongdoing with regard to the Inkandla security upgrade," it said.
Public protector meets with security cluster
Also on Friday, the government communications and information system (GCIS) released a statement saying that ministers of the security cluster and the minister of public works met with the public protector on the "leak" of the provisional report.
"In the meeting, advocate Thuli Madonsela committed herself to following the proper process of handling such reports," the statement said.
"Government maintains its view that while the security upgrades were justified, the manner in which the department of public works handled the matter was inappropriate.
"The government investigation found there had been a number of irregularities in the appointment of service providers and the procurement of goods and services," it said..