Even though some of the coldest temperatures and polar blasts in decades seized the mid section of the US, many inhabitants chose to risk the almost instant frostbite and venture out into the life-size blast chiller to capture the record-breaking polar vortex.
Let's take a look at some of the cool images they shared on social media.
1. A slushy looking canal in Brooklyn, New York.
2. This snowmobile just won't budge!
3. This picture of a frozen Lake Michigan is one of the most shared Polar Vortex images.
4. From Jersey Shore to Jersey Sore. An icy pier in New Jersey.
5. Three feet of frost anybody?
6. No fun in the sun at Kew beach, further up north in Canada.
7. Pretty in Pittsburgh – The view at Pittsburgh State University.
Haji Mohamed Dawjee is the social media accounts director at Ogilvy PR. She was previously the deputy digital news editor and social media editor at the Mail & Guardian. Haji has an honours degree in journalism from the University of Stellenbosch and continues to write columns for the M&G. Read more from Haji Mohamed Dawjee