National

Krejcir case: Two suspects to appear in court

Sapa

Of the four people arrested in connection with the attempted murder of investigators in the Radovan Krejcir case, two are expected to appear in court.

Radovan Krejcir and his co-accused at the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court in December. (Gallo)

Two people arrested for allegations that they attempted to murder nvestigators in the Radovan Krejcir case are expected to appear in two separate courts on Wednesday, police said.

"Two of the four suspects arrested in an intelligence driven operation last week are due to appear [on] separate charges in two courts this morning," spokesperson Lieutenant General Solomon Makgale said.

Siboniso Miya was expected to appear at the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court. He is allegedly believed to have been part of the kidnapping case that saw Krejcir arrested.

The kidnapping case allegedly involves Krejcir, Sandton businessperson Desai Luphondo, and two members of the Hawks, warrant officers Samuel Modise Maropeng and George Jeff Nthoroane.

They were arrested in November and face charges of kidnapping, assault and attempted murder.

In June, they allegedly kidnapped and assaulted a man whose brother, known only as "doctor", disappeared with a 25kg shipment of tik he had been recruited to help smuggle through OR Tambo International Airport.

Opposing bail
They allegedly kept the man at Krejcir's Money Point business in Bedfordview, Johannesburg, for four days, and assaulted him.

"The second of the ... arrested suspects, Owen Sorero, will appear in the Johannesburg Magistrate's Court this morning [Wednesday] on nine counts of vehicle hijacking," he said.

The two were arrested along with Jacob Nare and Zoe Biyela for allegedly plotting to kill forensic investigator Paul O'Sullivan and crime intelligence officer Colonel Nkosana "Killer" Ximba.

All four appeared at the Alexandra Magistrate's Court on Monday. The case was postponed to January 20 to allow both sides time to "iron out a few issues".

National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Nathi Mcube would not say what the issues were. However, he said the state would oppose bail.

"We will oppose bail as this is a serious case. Two of them [charges] are schedule six offences," he said.

Injuries on the accused
During the appearance, two of the accused, claimed they were assaulted into making statements. One of the lawyers representing them claimed his client was "hung from a rod to compel him to make a statement".

Another accused claimed he was forced into making a statement without his attorney present.

Magistrate Renier Boshoff said he could not see injuries on any of the accused. All four accused face charges of conspiracy to commit murder, two counts of theft and possession of a stolen vehicle, armed robbery, and two counts of possession of an unlicensed firearm. – Sapa

Topics In This Section

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus