Mandela's alleged love children seek recognition
Two women who claim to be fathered by Nelson Mandela have sought to be recognised by the late former president's estate.
Two people apparently fathered by late former president Nelson Mandela have sought to be acknowledged by his estate, an attorney dealing with Mandela's will said.
Family representatives of Onica Mothoa and Mpho Pule contacted Michael Katz, one of two attorneys appointed by the estate's executors to handle matters surrounding Mandela's will.
Katz confirmed on Sunday evening that he had been contacted, with Mothoa and Pule's representatives claiming both were fathered by Mandela when he was still married to his first wife Evelyn Mase.
TV programme Carte Blanche reported on Sunday night that the pair's lawyers approached the master of the high court to stop the division of funds, as directed by Mandela's will, from his estate.
Deputy Chief Justice Dikgang Moseneke told reporters in Johannesburg last Monday that the provisional assessment of Mandela's estate was about R46-million.
"The amount, which excludes royalties accrued over time, is still to be verified," Moseneke said.
The will was first written in 2004 and last amended in 2008.
Not seeking money
Katz said the two women sought to be recognised by Mandela's estate, and did not seek any money.
Katz said he would meet with the executors of Mandela's estate to discuss the matter.
During Carte Blanche's broadcast, Mothoa and Pule's relatives claimed they had in the past attempted to reach Mandela so that the former president could acknowledge he was the two women's father.
No acknowledgement occurred. He had reportedly met one of the women.
A legal spokesperson for the women's families told Carte Blanche that they were considering bringing an application for Mandela's DNA to be tested to show if the former president was connected to Mothoa and Pule.
The women, originally from Hammanskraal and Bloemfontein, have been in various news reports over the years claiming Mandela was their father.
In the most recent report, it was claimed one of them was refused access to Mandela during his last hospitalisation in Pretoria.
According to the TV show's report, neither woman was allowed into the funeral area when Mandela was buried in Qunu, in the Eastern Cape, on December 15 following his death on December 5.
They watched Mandela's lying in state at the Union Buildings in Pretoria on television. – Sapa