Mandela family observes second phase of mourning
The Mandela family observed a second phase of mourning for former president Nelson Mandela in Qunu, Eastern Cape, over the weekend, the Sowetan reported on Monday.
"We are pleased that everything went well. Things were done properly ... The ceremony was peaceful," royal house spokesperson Daludumo Mtirara was quoted as saying.
He said the main family members and several others attended the mourning ritual. They included Mandela's widow, Graca Machel, his grandson Mandla Mandela and ex-wife Winnie Madikizela-Mandela.
"It would have been improper to have the ceremony if they were not there," said Mtirara.
The third phase of mourning would continue until June, when Machel concluded the mourning process, which had been reduced from one year to six months.
Mandela died in December at his Houghton home at the age of 95. – Sapa