ANC members dissatisfied with candidate list for local government elections

JOHANNESBURG, June 2 (ANA) – Scores of disgruntled African National Congress members gathered outside the party’s headquarters Luthuli House in Johannesburg again on Thursday to voice their dissatisfaction over the party’s list of councillor candidates for the upcoming local government elections.

About 200 protesters were unhappy with the party’s procedure in selecting candidates who would stand as councilors in the August 3 polls.

Secretary general of the ANC, Gwede Mantashe, addressed the media on the ANC’s progress inside Luthuli House while the protest went on unabated outside. .

“We want to assure South African people that all the names are being submitted. We are only left with Ekurhuleni and Western Cape province,” Mantashe told reporters .

Mantashe said the ANC would not tamper with the make up of the list because popular people in the ward should remain at the top.

He also added that where there was evidence that the list had been tampered with, the party would try to fix the problem.

Another consideration Mantashe said the party took seriously in compiling the candidates list was to comply with the principles of gender equality.

Mantashe said unfortunately the ANC could not address any appeals at the moment, but said that next week they would visit hotspot areas like Rustenburg and Port Elizabeth.

Mantashe said he would personally visit Matatiele in the Eastern Cape on Friday because there were several wards with complaints.

ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said some of the issues raised by disgruntled members and protesters had nothing to do with the list, but the anger was partly due to corrections the party had to make.

“In terms of our guidelines, you cannot tamper with issues of adherence and gender,” Kodwa said.

Meanwhile, the Democratic Alliance on Thursday released its mayoral candidates’ list for the local government elections.

The DA said it was confident of retaining the municipalities it controls in Western Cape, with Patricia de Lille expected to stay on as Cape Town mayor.

– African News Agency (ANA)

Disclaimer: This story is pulled directly from the African News Agency wire, and has not been edited by Mail & Guardian staff. The M&G does not accept responsibility for errors in any statement, quote or extract that may be contained therein.

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus

Client Media Releases

MTN presents iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus
Study analyses progress to achieving SDG targets
Cast your vote for 2016 IT Personality, Visionary CIO
New CEO to lead Sanral into new era
SAP Skills for Africa SA chapter starts