Hlophe set to return to work

Cape Judge President John Hlophe is set to return to work, the South African Broadcasting Corporation reported on Monday.

National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Tlali Tlali told the broadcaster that Justice Minister Jeff Radebe had received notification from Hlophe of his intention to resume his duties on July 27.

Hlophe has been on special leave since May last year, when Constitutional Court judges lodged a complaint with the Judicial Service Commission alleging that he tried to influence a judgment they were working on relating to President Jacob Zuma.

Last week, the lobby group Justice for Hlophe Alliance said it hoped to see Hlophe as the chief justice of the Constitutional Court.

JSC spokesperson advocate Marumo Moerane said last week that a shortlist for nominations for the vacancies left by retiring Chief Justice Pius Langa and justices Yvonne Mokgoro, Kate O’Regan and Albie Sachs would be released on July 25.

The list would then be made available to the legal fraternity for comments on the suitability of each candidate.

The JSC would hold public interviews with the shortlisted candidates and furnish a list of seven names to Zuma, who would fill the four posts from this list.

The post of chief justice need not necessarily be filled by one of the nominated candidates, but is the president’s prerogative. He has in the past elected to consult with the JSC on his selection.

Tlali, who was unavailable for comment to the South African Press Association, told the SABC that the JSC would discuss Hlophe’s matter on Wednesday.—Sapa



blog comments powered by Disqus

Client Media Releases

iStore to launch Apple Nike+ Watch in SA
MTN Business supports SA's entrepreneurs
Soweto communities to benefit from eKasiLabs programme