Please take a moment to read through this page if you wish to correspond with us – doing so will reduce the chance that your message will go astray.
The Mail & Guardian is both a newspaper and a website. Chris Roper is the editor-in-chief of the M&G.
Letters that appear in the paper will automatically appear on the website, but the reverse does not necessarily apply.
If you would like to subscribe to the M&G newspaper, or if you want to query your current subscription, then click here.
Phone: +27 (0)11 250 7300
Fax: +27 (0)11 250 7503
Phone: +27 (0)21 426 0802
Fax: +27 (0)21 426 1274
PO Box 91667
Our office are located at:
195 Jan Smuts Avenue,
The Mail & Guardian
- Send a letter to the newspaper.
- Suggest a news story to the newspaper.
- Submit a listing for the arts and entertainment pages.
- Advertise or get a rate card for the newspaper.
- Submit a classified ad for the newspaper.
The M&G online and its partner sites
- Send a letter to the website.
- Suggest a news story to the website.
- Submit a feature or comment piece to the website.
- Ask a question about the website.
- Submit a listing.
- Report a technical problem on the website, such as a broken link.
- Advertise or get a rate card for the website.
- Complain to the ombudsman about an article, the website or the newspaper.
- Read the history of the newspaper and the website.
Your problems and questions
- "I want to change my email address/unsubscribe from the daily newsletter."
- "A comment below one of your articles or blogs is offensive"
- "I want to write for you."
- "I am a PR officer and want you to place a press release."
- "I or my organisation would like to make use of, or reproduce, some of your copy."
As a general rule we moderate all the comments that appear on our site, but on occasion we do miss things. If you do notice offensive comments please tell us, we will delete them.
Writing for the M&G:
The M&G online, like many internet publications, is operating on an extremely slender budget. Though we do not have a budget for freelance contributions, you may submit your contribution nonetheless -- an exception can always be made for excellent writing. You may also be able to interest the M&G newspaper in your work.
PLEASE DON'T just write saying you want to write for us. Rather send a 100-word (at most) outline of a proposed article, a 10-line (or shorter) summary of your experience and an example of your previous work (preferably, an internet link to the page and publication in which it appears).
Please bear in mind that if we do accept work from you, you will be paid in South African rand, a currency currently trading at about R8 to the US Dollar. Our standard rate is about R1 a word.
Getting PR copy into the M&G:
The M&G does not, under any circumstances, simply reprint press releases, so there's no point sending them to us for that purpose. They may, however, be useful as background information to individual journalists. But it would be good if you took the trouble of finding out who the relevant journalists are before flooding our mailboxes.
Reprinting or republishing our copy:
Please, before asking us for permission to use our copy, check whether the story in question has something like "Guardian", "Reuters", "AFP", "Sapa" or "Irin" at the end of it. If it does, we can't give you the rights. If it is ours, send your syndication requests to Sewela Mamphiswana.