Following news of a new ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, the UN secretary general has urged the two sides to work towards a longer-term truce.
UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon on Sunday welcomed the news of a fresh 72-hour ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, urging the two sides to work towards a longer-term truce.
The latest ceasefire began at 12.01am on Monday (9.01pm GMT on Sunday), after days of frantic mediation to stem a firestorm of violence that has killed 1 939 Palestinians and 67 people on the Israeli side since July 8. Ban “expresses his strong hope that this will give the two sides, under Egyptian auspices, another chance to agree on a durable ceasefire for the benefit of all civilian populations and as a starting point to address the underlying grievances on both sides,” a statement from his spokesperson said.
The UN chief “continues to urge all concerned to work constructively to this end and avoid any steps, which would lead to a return to violence ... The United Nations stands ready to assist in the implementation of an agreement that would consolidate peace and allow for much needed reconstruction and development of Gaza,” the statement added.
Egypt, which has acted as a mediator in the conflict, has urged Israel and the Palestinians to use the new truce to “reach a comprehensive and permanent ceasefire”, after an earlier three-day truce ended on Friday. In the gap between ceasefires, warplanes hit more than 170 targets, killing at least 19 people, while the Palestinians fired at least 136 rockets at Israel, of which 93 hit their target and 13 were shot down, with the rest falling short inside Gaza, the army said. Israel and the Palestinians agreed to a fresh 72-hour ceasefire in Gaza on Sunday, accepting an Egyptian invitation to resume talks to end fighting that has killed more than 2 000 people.
“Israel has accepted the Egyptian proposal for a ceasefire,” an official told Agence France-Presse shortly after a Palestinian source confirmed accepting the latest initiative.
The Egyptian foreign ministry called for the ceasefire “given the necessity to protect innocent blood”. It called on both sides to use the lull to “reach a comprehensive and permanent ceasefire”. Israel had bolted truce talks in Cairo on Friday when Hamas refused to extend an earlier ceasefire and begun firing rockets over the border.
More than a month of bloody fighting in and around Gaza has killed at least 1 939 Palestinians and 67 people on the Israeli side, most of them soldiers. The UN says just under three quarters of those killed in Gaza were civilians, and around a third of the civilian victims were children. On the ground, eight Palestinians were killed, including a woman and two 17-year-olds, in a barrage of Israeli air strikes and 10 bodies were pulled from the rubble east of Gaza City, local medics said.
In Deir al-Balah, an angry crowd of young men bellowed slogans as they carried the bloodied body of one of the teenagers to its burial side. The army described the youth as a “prominent terror operative”. “God loves martyrs! We will march on Jerusalem in our millions,” chanted mourners. At the graveside, neighbours passed around pieces of shrapnel as he was laid to rest in a plot where several other freshly-dug graves laid open, as if prepared for further deaths.
Abyss of violence
Israel said it had been forced to close its Kerem Shalom crossing used to truck supplies into the southern Gaza Strip after it was struck twice by rocket fire.
“After continuous and intentional rocket fire at the Kerem Shalom crossing this morning and this afternoon, during which trucks carrying flammable materials to the Gaza Strip were almost hit, we took the exceptional decision to close the crossing in order to protect the lives of workers and traders,” a defence ministry statement said.
For days, Egyptian efforts to broker an end to more than a month of fighting led nowhere. “Israel will not engage in negotiations under fire,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told his Cabinet on Sunday, warning the operation would not stop until there was a prolonged quiet.
In the West Bank, an 11-year-old Palestinian boy was shot dead by Israeli troops as he played outside his home in Al-Fawwar refugee camp near the southern city of Hebron, relatives and medics said.
The army said troops had opened fire during a “violent riot” but said it had opened an investigation into the circumstances of the shooting. Israel’s Gaza operation has triggered a series of almost daily protests across the West Bank, during which 16 Palestinians have been killed, the Ramallah-based health ministry said.
The resumption of fighting has put Netanyahu under increased pressure from hardliners to send ground troops back in to Gaza to topple Hamas, the de facto power in the battered Palestinian enclave.
“There is no doubt that the only thing left to do now is to overpower Hamas, clean out the territory and get out as quickly as possible,” said Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman. Public Security Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch said that if talks to secure a permanent ceasefire led nowhere, going back in to Gaza would be the only option. “The moment the door closes and negotiations do not bear any fruit and we are faced with continued fire ... there will apparently be no choice, and then we will go in,” he told public radio. – AFP