Africa

Mozambique flood death toll hits 25

Staff Reporter

Floods in Mozambique have claimed at least 25 lives since December, officials said in reports on Wednesday.

Floods in Mozambique have claimed at least 25 lives since December, officials said in reports on Wednesday, stressing that there was, however, no cause for alarm.

The National Disaster Management Institute’s general director Joao Ribeiro was quoted in the Noticias newspaper as saying: “The heavy rains that are battering the country do not constitute a cause for alarm.

“But there is a need to pay special attention to the probability of cyclones occurring, given the fact that this is a fertile period for natural phenomenon,” Ribeiro added.

The floods that have come ahead of the annual rainy season have so far affected only half the one million people authorities had expected would be affected, he said.

Three more people died this week in the cholera outbreak in Maputo and other areas, while about 300 infected people have been admitted to hospital.

Further rain could spread the water-borne disease that has killed 71 people countrywide since late last year.—Sapa-dpa

. .

Topics In This Section

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus