Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

DA dismayed at funding of ‘rogue’ states

The Democratic Alliance says it is dismayed by information presented to Parliament’s international relations portfolio committee showing South Africa has provided millions to “rogue” African states.

The information provided by international relations and cooperation department director of Nepad, Harvey Short, showed more than R770-million of South African state funds had been used to prop up rogue states, and countries that had a history of human rights abuses or non-democratically elected governments, over the past three years, and under the auspices of the African Renaissance Fund (ARF).

DA spokesperson Kenneth Mubu said on Thursday a total of R600-million in economic assistance had been provided to Zimbabwe’s government under the ARF, even though the committee heard that South Africa did not track how the funding was spent.

A total of R300-million was transferred in 2009 as part of an economic recovery programme, a portion of it in the form of emergency food aid.

However, during Wednesday’s committee meeting, when he asked whether the department had monitored and evaluated how the funds had been used, the response was that they had not.

No planning mechanism
“Parliament has seen no evidence that any of this money was spent on those programmes to which it had been designated,” Mubu said.

The documentation provided “admits” government did not have a proactive planning mechanism, nor were monitoring and evaluation in
place.

A total of R172-million had been handed over to Guinea Conakry, beginning in 2008, the same year in which the country underwent a military coup that saw a military junta led by Captain Moussa Dadis Camara.

“Disturbingly, the ARF continued to fund two more projects in Guinea in 2009 while it was under the rule of Camara, only suspending a third due to political instability,” he said.

In that same year the junta declared demonstrations illegal a day before a planned public demonstration in its capital Conakry.

However, according to media reports at the time, thousands of demonstrators defied this ban and assembled in a soccer stadium.

The junta ordered its soldiers to respond, and 157 people were left dead in the ensuing violence.

“Again, officials indicated they have no way of knowing where this money was spent, and how much of it, if any, actually went towards the causes earmarked.”

The ARF had, since 2004, allocated over R1,2-billion to fund projects in over 17 African countries.

The purpose of the fund and its stated guiding principles were described to include the promotion of democracy and good governance, socioeconomic development and integration, and the prevention and resolution of conflict.

“Clearly these laudable objectives have been usurped by the department of international relations’ utter inability to oversee the implementation of the ARF, and the accountable distribution of funds.

“We have no direct evidence that funds have been misappropriated, but we have no evidence either that funds were spent on the appropriate projects, and instead evidence that no monitoring of the use of the funds is in place.

“In the absence of proof to the contrary, it is very difficult to believe that these funds have gone where they should have,” Mubu said.

The minister needed to get funding allocations at the ARF under control. – Sapa

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

The South African Bone Marrow Registry celebrates 30 years of...

‘It’s not drilling into bones!’: Misconceptions keep donors away, says SABMR, but a match outside of a patient’s family is a needle in a haystack

R500-million Covid-19 Gauteng hospital contract was irregularly awarded — SIU

The bank accounts of Pro Service Consulting and Thenga Holdings have been frozen

More top stories

With its industrial base decimated, SA’s economy needs real change...

Speaking at a book launch on Tuesday, the finance minister said a focus on manufacturing is critical to stem the country’s deepening unemployment crisis

Defence team cagey about Zuma’s health after state advised he...

The former president was absent from court, but his counsel argued that health matters be left aside, so as to hear his case for the removal of Billy Downer

The South African Bone Marrow Registry celebrates 30 years of...

‘It’s not drilling into bones!’: Misconceptions keep donors away, says SABMR, but a match outside of a patient’s family is a needle in a haystack

New clean fuel standards could be the end of refineries...

In the absence of mechanisms to recoup investment into cleaner fuels, refineries may be faced with tough decisions
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×