June 2021 | Version 1.0
What are cookies?
These files serve a number of useful purposes for you, including:
- ensuring the website functions correctly;
- granting you access to restricted content;
- tailoring our website’s functionality to you by letting us remember your preferences, location, or device type;
- improving how our website performs;
- understanding who our audience is, so that we can provide content most relevant to you;
- allowing third parties to provide services to our website; and
- helping us deliver interest-based advertising where appropriate in compliance with the applicable laws.
The cookies we use
We use different cookies on our website. Some cookies are placed by us, while others are placed by our third-party plug-ins, suppliers, or advertisers. These cookies may be deleted from your device at different times, such as at the end of your browsing session (when you leave the website) or after a pre-set amount time, or they may persist on your device until you delete them.
We use the following types of cookies on our website:
- essential cookies – these are cookies that allow our website to perform its essential functions. Without these cookies, some parts of our websites would stop working.
- site analytics cookies – these are cookies that monitor how our website is performing, and how you interact with it. We use them to know how best to improve our website or services.
- functional cookies – these are cookies that remember who you are as a user of our website. We use them to remember any preferences you may have selected on our website, like saving your username and password, or settings.
- advertising cookies – these are cookies that matches your interests or web searches with applicable advertising campaigns on our website. We use them to provide you with advertising that we think you might find useful.
- social media cookies – these are cookies that integrate with social media platforms. We use them to help you share content from our website to your chosen social media platform.
What information do we access thanks to cookies?
We have access to:
- Identifiers of your terminal (IP address);
- Operating system used by your terminal (Microsoft Windows, Apple Os, Linux, Unix, BeOS, Android, iOS, etc.);
- Device name (e.g. iPhone 12);
- Web browser (Microsoft Internet Explorer, Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, etc.);
- Language of your web browser;
- Date and hour of connection to our website;
- The “referrer” (provenance HTTP address); and
- Browsing data on our websites and content viewed.
You can see the cookies we use in the following table:
|Cookie name||Cookie type||Cookie function|
|PHPSESSID||Essential||Used for logging users in|
|Advanced Ads Pro||Essential||Used to display various code (not limited to ads)|
|PMPro||Essential||Used to control paywall functions|
|Google Analytics, Parsely, Clarity MS, Effective Measure||Analytics||Third party organisations used to record anonymised traffic to mg.co.za|
|Doubleclick||Advertising||Third party advertising server. Note, other advertising cookies may be added via Doubleclick and Google Adx that are beyond our immediate control|
Your internet browser generally accepts cookies automatically, but you can often change this setting to stop accepting them. You can also delete cookies manually. You can read how to do this for popular browsers by following these links:
Deleting or no longer accepting cookies may prevent you from accessing certain aspects of our website where cookies are necessary or cause the website to forget your preferences. Deleting cookies may not prevent you from seeing advertisements on our website, but such advertising may be less relevant to you.
For more information on how to opt out of being tracked across all websites by Google Analytics, visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.