September 2021, Version 2.0
When you visit or use our website, you’re trusting us with your personal information. We understand the importance of this responsibility and work hard to protect your information and put you in control.
This policy aims to help you understand what information we collect and why we collect it. It also sets out how you can update, manage, access, and delete your information.
The Mail & Guardian Online respect your privacy and is committed to protecting it.
– We recognise your need for appropriate protection and management of personally identifiable information you may share with us (any information by which you can be identified, such as name, address and telephone number).
– In general, you can browse sites without telling us who you are or revealing any personal information about yourself. We do track the internet address of the domains from which people visit us and analyse this data for trends and statistics, but the individual user remains anonymous.
– Some of our web pages use “cookies” so that we can better serve you with more tailored information when you return to our site. “Cookies” are used to enhance your interactive experience and generally improve our service to you. You can set your browser to notify you when you are sent a cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether to accept it.
– We store information you supply in personalising your use of our services.
– We protect information of registered users from outside parties by storing it in a fully secured database.
– In all other cases, the only information we will ever disclose to third parties (such as advertisers) is aggregate information about our users.- Aggregate information will never identify you. It only identifies the user population in general terms; for example, 52% males visit a particular site. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content and/or services of sites linking out of our network or for personally identifiably information made available by you or another third party in or through the Mail & Guardian Online.
- Who does this policy apply to?
This policy applies to you when you visit or use our website or order our goods or services.
- Acceptance and changes
- Acceptance required. You must accept all the terms of this policy when you use our website or request our goods or services. If you do not agree with anything in this policy, you may not use our website or request our goods or services.
- Legal capacity. You may order our goods or request our services if you are younger than 18 years old or do not have the legal capacity to conclude legally binding contracts.
- Deemed acceptance. By accepting this policy, we deem you to have read, understood, accepted, and agreed to be bound by it.
- Changes. We may change this policy at any time. We will notify you of the changes on our website or by email. The changed policy applies to you if you continue using our website or our goods or services following the notification.
- What is personal information?
- Scope. Your personal information includes information we collect:
- automatically when you visit our website or use our application;
- accept on registration or submission;
- get through an order; or
- you provide voluntarily.
- Excluded information. The scope of personal information does not extend to anonymous, de-identified, and statistical information.
- Common examples. Common examples of the types of personal data which we may collect, and process include your:
- identifying information – such as your name, date of birth, or identification number of any kind;
- contact information – such as your phone number or email address;
- address information – such as your physical or postal address; or
- demographic information – such as your gender or marital status.
- Examples of sensitive personal information we may collect. Depending on the services you use, we may also collect sensitive personal information, including your:
- financial information – such as your bank account details; or
- sensitive demographic information – such as your race or ethnicity.
- Your obligations. You may only send us your own personal information or someone else’s personal information if you have lawfully obtained their permission to do so. Suppose you unlawfully supply us with someone else’s information. In that event, you hold us harmless against any claims that that person may have against us for receiving and processing that information.
- The information we collect
- On registration or submission. We may ask you to provide us with certain identifying information (including your first name, surname and email address) when you register on or otherwise submit information through our website or application for the first time.
- Through an order. When you order our goods or services, we ask you to provide us with certain information.
- Cookies. We may place small text files on your device when you visit our website that allow us to provide you with a personalised experience by associating your personal information with your device. They let us remember your preferences, allow third parties to provide services to you, and otherwise serve useful purposes for you. Please refer to our Cookies Policy for more information.
- Web beacons. Our website may contain electronic image requests (called a single-pixel gif or web beacon request) that allow us to count page views and access cookies. Any electronic image viewed as part of a web page (including an ad banner) can act as a web beacon. Our web beacons do not collect, gather, monitor, or share any of your personal information. We merely use them to compile anonymous information about our website.
- Voluntarily. We may ask you to provide us certain optional information on a voluntary basis.
- Consent to collection. We will get your consent to collect your personal information under applicable law when you provide us with it.
- Purpose for collection. We may process your information for the purposes that you indicated when you agreed to provide it to us. Processing includes gathering your personal information, disclosing it, and combining it with other personal information.
- Obligations. We may process your personal information to fulfil our obligations to you.
- Messages and updates. We may use your identifying information to send you administrative or update messages about our website or application.
- Promotional messages. We may also sometimes send you promotional messages, but you may choose to opt-out of them.
- Targeted content. We may use your personal information to provide you with targeted content through our website or application in a completely automated process.
- Sharing. We may share your personal information with third parties for the purposes of fulfilling our obligations to you, including with:
- other companies or divisions within our group;
- our affiliates;
- our goods or services providers who help us meet our obligations to you, including those that help us understand your personal information; or
- third parties or regulators as required by applicable law.
- Honour this policy. We will require anyone that we share your personal information with to honour this policy whenever possible in terms of applicable law.
- Mandatory disclosure. We may disclose personal information to third parties if required for legal reasons, such as if required by the relevant authorities or a court order.
- Marketing purposes. We may disclose aggregate statistical information that we derive from the personal information to our advertisers or business partners.
- Personnel. We may need to disclose personal information to our personnel to do their jobs. But we will not do so unnecessarily.
- Change of ownership. We may assign our rights to the personal information we process to our new owners if our ownership changes for any reason.
- How we store your information
- Retention. We will only keep your personal information for as long as is necessary to fulfil our obligations to you unless you have given us permission to keep it longer or we are otherwise legally allowed to do so.
- Transfer. We may transfer your personal information outside of the country in which it was collected to a foreign country. You consent to us processing your personal information in a foreign country with less stringent data protection laws than the country in which it was collected.
- Want to access or update your information?
- Access. You may ask us to provide you with a description of the personal information that we hold on you, correct or update it or delete it (provided that we do not need it to fulfil our obligations to you or applicable law does not require us to keep it). We will take all reasonable steps to verify your identity before doing so. We may charge a fee to recoup our costs associated with this request if there is a cost to us associated with it and provided that applicable law allows us to do so. Please contact us with your name and any other information needed to identify you correctly if you want access to information or want us to correct, update or delete it.
- Accuracy. We will do our best to keep your personal information that we collect accurate, complete, and up to date.
- Participation. We may ask you to update your personal information from time to time, but we will take steps to verify your identity to prevent unauthorised access when doing so.
- How we keep your information secure
- Information security. We take the security of personal information very seriously and always do our best to comply with applicable data protection laws.
- Hosting. Our hosting company will host our website in a secure server environment that uses a firewall and other advanced security measures to prevent interference or access from outside intruders.
- Disaster recovery. We implement disaster recovery procedures where appropriate.
- Notification of breach. Where we have reasonable grounds to believe that an unauthorised third party has accessed your personal information and if required by law, we will notify the relevant Regulator and you of the breach. If the law requires us to notify you, we will provide you with sufficient information to allow you to take protective measures against the potential consequences of the breach.
- Updating or removing. You may update or remove your personal information by contacting us.
- Limitation. We are not responsible for anyone else’s privacy policies or practices.
Reach out. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via [email protected].