SABC sued for millions — again

The former acting chief executive of the SABC, Robin Nicholson, has issued a summons against the public broadcaster and is claiming R2.8-million, plus interest and the cost of his law suit, after he was ousted last month. The claim includes R1.5-million in terms of the six-month fixed-term contract offered to him and a restraint payment of R1.3-million.

Nicholson was swiftly replaced as acting group chief executive by head of news Phil Molefe after Communications Minister Roy Padayachie called a shareholders’ meeting to amend the SABC’s articles of association to facilitate the appointment of any employee to top management positions at the corporation.

Padayachie told the board members present that the proposed amendments were within his authority and there was no need for consultation or approval from the board for them to take effect.

Respected lawyer Peter Harris resigned from the board a day after the meeting following an outcry against alleged political interference in the governance of the public broadcaster.

The contract with Nicholson was drawn up after the board took a resolution on June 24 that his contract would be renewed for a further period of six months.


In a board document attached to Nicholson’s summons, the board resolved that, “upon acceptance of the contract by Mr Nicholson, a delegation of authority be offered to Mr Nicholson to continue the fulfilment of his acting role as group chief executive until such a time that the new group chief executive is appointed”.

Nicholson has also provided a copy of a fixed-term six-month contract given to him that was drawn up by board chairman Ben Ngubane, who signed it on June 27 before leaving on a business trip to Japan. The contract did not reflect the agreement reached in some areas with Ngubane, and Nicholson asked for it to be altered and did not sign it.

But the situation changed overnight, throwing the cash-strapped SABC into further turmoil.

The Mail & Guardian is in possession of a document from Justice Ndaba, acting group executive of human capital services, in an appraisal he did for the board of the events that led to Nicholson’s ousting.

“The board took a vote on the extension of Mr Nicholson’s contract, with nine directors supporting the decision to extend, two voting against it and one absentia,” he wrote. Ndaba was asked to ensure a “proper transitional handover” from Nicholson to Molefe.

“Since Mr Nicholson’s contract is ending today, June 30, and given the hostility that would be displayed by Mr Nicholson, noting the decision by the board that his contract would not be renewed, as well as the potential for external animosity from certain quarters, possibilities of legal battles etc, it will be difficult for us to convince Mr Nicholson to assist with the transitional handover,” Ndaba wrote.

He recommended that, because Nicholson might have a legitimate claim against the SABC to honour the terms of the contract issued to him, the broadcaster should pay him the contractual amount for the six months according to the offer made to him already, which had created a “legitimate expectation”.

Nicholson would then be expected to assist with the transitional handover and sign an agreement that should include matters of confidentiality. Ndaba could not be reached for comment.

The SABC confirmed it had received a summons from Nicholson. “The corporation is studying the summons and will respond accordingly to the court and not the media,” said spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago.

The M&G understands that the board was due to meet on July 29 and that Nicholson’s summons would be discussed.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Political interference mounts over SABC retrenchments

The SABC says it needs to cut R700-million to survive. But senior politicians have allegedly interfered to stop retrenchments from proceeding

SABC staff ready to join picket line

The national broadcaster has rejected claims that it did not follow correct retrenchment and audit processes

SABC plans to retrench 600 employees

Broadcaster cites “poor sales effectiveness, ineffective commercial product, old pricing models and inadequate technology infrastructure” as driving cuts

The recovered remain cautious

People who have survived Covid-19 are not going through life carefree. They are still taking all the preventative measures

SAfm run like ‘community radio’, not a national station

SAfm has allegedly been operating this way since Dennis O’Donnell’s resignation, with different people being brought in to take on the role of station manager.

The parallel yet familiar world of Tjovitjo

With season two set to debut on Netflix at the end of the month, filmmaker Vincent Moloi opens up on his artistic choices and inspirations.
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Fake trafficking news targets migrants

Exaggerated reports on social media of human trafficking syndicates snatching people in broad daylight legitimate xenophobia while deflecting from the real problems in society

It’s not a ‘second wave’: Covid resurges because safety measures...

A simple model shows how complacency in South Africa will cause the number of infections to go on an upward trend again

Trouble brewing for Kenya’s coffee growers

Kenyan farmers say theft of their crop is endemic – and they suspect collusion

Unisa shortlists two candidates for the vice-chancellor job

The outgoing vice-chancellor’s term has been extended to April to allow for a smooth hand-over
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday