Guptagate: Fate of SANDF officials to be revealed
The fate of four South African National Defence Force (SANDF) officials implicated in the Guptagate scandal is expected to be revealed on Tuesday.
Colonel Nomsa Khumalo, Lieutenant Colonel Christo Van Zyl, Lieutenant Colonel Christine Anderson, and Warrant Officer Thabo Ntshisi will appear in the military court at the Thaba Tshwane military base in Pretoria.
They have been charged with contravening various sections of the military defence code.
The charges relate to the landing of a private aircraft at the Waterkloof Air Force Base.
A chartered commercial aircraft, Jet Airways flight JAI 9900 from India, ferrying more than 200 guests to the wedding of Vega Gupta and Aakash Jahajgarhia, landed at the base in April.
The passengers were then transported, either by light aircraft, helicopter or in police-escorted vehicles, to the ceremony at Sun City's Palace of the Lost City in North West.
The landing sparked widespread criticism and several investigations were launched. A government investigation exonerated President Jacob Zuma and his ministers, and found that the landing was the result of "collusion by officials".
Meanwhile, earlier this month, the Democratic Alliance said Parliament should investigate Zuma's alleged involvement in the landing of the private aircraft.
'Investigate President Zuma's conduct'
"I asked Parliament to establish an ad hoc committee in terms of rule 214(1), to investigate President Zuma's conduct in the Guptagate scandal," Democratic Alliance parliamentary leader Lindiwe Mazibuko said at the time.
Anderson reportedly said in an affidavit at a military tribunal that she was told by Bruce Koloane that Zuma had been aware of the plan and had personally asked about progress.
Koloane was the chief of state protocol at the time, but has since been demoted.
A report by the justice department said he and other senior officials had acted alone.
Anderson was accused, in a government task team report, of colluding with Koloane to authorise the landing.
Allegations about Zuma's involvement were refuted as hearsay by the presidency on October 3. "While it would not be appropriate to discuss matters that are being addressed at the tribunal, we wish to state categorically that there is no truth to the allegation," presidency spokesperson Mac Maharaj said at the time. – Sapa