Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Mandela opera cancelled after three performances

An opera telling the life story of the late South African icon Nelson Mandela showed only three performances before it closed down for lack of funds, its producer said Monday.

Madiba: The African Opera premiered on Friday at the State Theatre in Pretoria but was forced to close three days later when it ran out of money to pay performers.

“This is due to non-payment from Lotto,” said producer Unathi Mtirara, who is also Mandela’s grandnephew. “We are still waiting for them to pay, we couldn’t continue pending that deal.”

The opera, which tells the early life of the anti-apartheid icon who died last year, was supposed to be moved to Mandela’s childhood village and final resting place Qunu from Pretoria. It was then expected to tour South Africa before heading overseas.

South Africa’s first democratically elected president died on December 5 at the age of 95 after a lengthy illness. Several books and movies about his life have been produced locally and abroad, including the The Long Walk to Freedom featuring Idris Alba.

The State Theatre confirmed the cancellation of performances but refused to give details on the private production. The National Lottery is a source of funding for many art programmes and charities, but sometimes struggles to cover some of the applicants. – Sapa-AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Life Esidimeni inquest postponed until August 30

The lawyer for the bereaved families argued that Dr Makgabo Manamela’s requests for postponements have a negative impact on the families of the deceased who seek closure

RECAP: Mbeki tells ANC that land without compensation goes against...

‘This would be a very serious disincentive to investment,’ says Thabo Mbeki in a document arguing that the ANC should not proceed with the Constitutional amendment of section 25

More top stories

Government proclaims 27 October for local elections, but supports...

The IEC has accepted former deputy chief justice Dikgang Moseneke’s recommendation to postpone the vote to February, but still needs Constitutional Court approval to do so

ANC Free State endorses three names for Mangaung mayor

The three candidates the province has put forward are said to be Ramaphosa supporters, who will further alienate Magashule from his power base

ANC’s provincial executive committee endorses three candidates for Joburg mayor...

Sources say that the PEC gave the nod to the three names put forward by the Johannesburg regional executive committee

Covid-19 draws the bulk of health sector’s focus, at the...

Children have accounted for a relatively low number of coronavirus cases, but other facets of their healthcare and wellbeing have suffered
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×