Mokotedi to resign from NPA this week

“I can confirm that he has not resigned. He had informed the NDPP [National Director of Public Prosecutions] in June and he did again yesterday [Tuesday] that he intends submitting a letter of resignation this Friday, August 1,” said National Prosecuting Authority spokesman Nathi Mncube.

“He says he wants to pursue his interests in ministry as he is an ordained pastor.”

Mncube could not say when Mokotedi was due to appear for his disciplinary hearing. Last month, Mokotedi was suspended after a document on former prosecutor Glynnis Breytenbach was leaked to the media.

At the time, The Star reported that a final report by the IMU recommended that Breytenbach be criminally charged for corruption, misconduct, conflict of interest, fraud, and racketeering.

In the unit’s report, Breytenbach is accused of soliciting a loan of $1 million (about R11m) from businessman Nathan Kirsh, a complainant in two cases she was prosecuting.

Breytenbach is also accused of accepting a R6.3m donation from Kirsh through the FW de Klerk Foundation towards legal fees in her labour dispute with the NPA.

Lengthy disciplinary hearing
In April 2012, Breytenbach was suspended from the NPA and later faced a lengthy disciplinary hearing on 15 charges, which included failing to act impartially while investigating the Kumba Iron Ore Sishen and Imperial Crown Trading mining rights issue.

She was accused of “improper relations” with Sishen’s lawyer Mike Hellens. Breytenbach countered that this was related to her opposition to a decision to withdraw fraud and corruption charges against former police crime intelligence head Richard Mdluli.

In May last year, a NPA disciplinary hearing found her not guilty on all the charges and she was allowed to return to work, only to find she was to be transferred.

In the Labour Court, Breytenbach unsuccessfully applied to have her transfer overturned. Breytenbach left the NPA to join the Democratic Alliance as an MP.

Mokotedi informed the NPA that he had nothing to do with the leaking of the document, said Mncube. – Sapa

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Sapa
Guest Author
Advertisting

Test backlog skews SA’s corona stats

With thousands of samples still waiting to be processed, labs are racing to ramp up testing to help the government gain a better idea of how prevalent Covid-19 really is

M&G’s latest Covid-19 projections

Covid-19 numbers are prompting disaster declarations and dramatic action across South Africa this week. All steps should be directed by numbers

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories