ANC resolves to show Supra the door

The ANC’s provincial executive committee (PEC) in the North West has welcomed the opportunity for Premier Supra Mahumapelo to finally tell his side of the story before the party’s top six leadership.  

On Wednesday evening, the ANC’s national working committee (NWC) resolved to recall North West Premier Supra Mahumapelo.

The PEC believes unfounded allegations have been levelled against Mahumapelo by power hungry individuals.

READ MORE: Cyril ‘has no power’ to fire Supra

“The ANC Bokone Bophirima Provincial Executive Committee (PEC) is particularly pleased with the recommendation of the NWC that the National Officials immediately meet with ANC Provincial Chairperson, Cde Supra Mahumapelo. This is what we as the PEC in the province have been asking for since the allegations against our Provincial Chairperson were made,” read the statement.


The NWC’s decision to recall Mahumapelo comes after two weeks of violent protests in the province, which left at least one person dead and put the lives of countless others at risk.

“We believe that it is fair that when someone is accused of so many things and tried in the court of public opinion, our movement that has taught us the principle of being presumed innocent until proven otherwise, should exercise fairness and get all sides of the story. In meetings and in public platforms our Provincial Chairperson and Premier had never been given an opportunity to speak for himself and we are glad that he will finally be able to say his side of the story.”

“Unfortunately for a prolonged period, concocted, unfounded and untested allegations have been directed at our Provincial Chairperson by those who have failed to make it in ANC elective conferences and are opposed to his approach of economically empowering the Villages Townships and Small Dorpies (VTSD).”

READ MORE: As premier hangs tough, delivery hangs in the balance

Two senior ANC leaders, one of whom is an NWC member, confirmed the recall decision to the Mail & Guardian. The M&G has learnt the ANC will convene a special NEC on Monday to consider the NWC’s recommendation that Mahumapelo step down.

President Cyril Ramaphosa was powerless to do much about axing Mahumapelo except implement the party’s internal processes, ANC national executive committee (NEC) members said on Wednesday, last week.

Even outside the ambit of the ANC and within the apparatus of the state, the Constitution dictates that premiers are elected by provincial legislatures. Candidates for the position are nominated by their respective political parties.

The ANC had ordered Mahumapelo to appear before the party’s top six officials ahead of the NEC meeting on May 26 and 27 or any special NEC before then. He was expected to explain his earlier inaction against the provincial health head after the department paid an advance of R30‑million to a Gupta-linked company, Mediosa, to operate mobile clinics in the province.

In a statement released on Thursday, ANC spokesperson Pule Mabe said the NWC “considered the developments in the North West province and reflected on the deep crisis in the [North West] health department and other departments in the province.“The NWC welcomed the intervention of Cabinet in the province which is aimed at restoring good governance and ensuring service delivery is not halted,” he said.“The NWC recommended that the national officials immediately meet with the premier of the North West province, who is also the chairperson of the ANC in the province, to discuss all available constructive options to resolve the ongoing impasse in the interest of the people of the North West province and the movement broadly.”

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

How lottery execs received dubious payments through a private company

The National Lottery Commission is being investigated by the SIU for alleged corruption and maladministration, including suspicious payments made to senior NLC employees between 2016 and 2017

Pandemic hobbles learners’ futures

South African schools have yet to open for the 2021 academic year and experts are sounding the alarm over lost learning time, especially in the crucial grades one and 12

More top stories

Egypt, Seychelles get first jabs

The two countries have rolled out China’s Sinopharm vaccine, but data issues are likely to keep some countries from doing the same

Fashion’s future is bricks and clicks

Lockdown forced reluctant South African clothing retail stores online: although foot traffic in brick-and-mortar stores remains important in a mall culture like ours, the secret to success is innovation

What the Biden presidency may mean for Africa

The new US administration has an interest and much expertise in Africa. But given the scale of the priorities the administration faces, Africa must not expect to feature too prominently

Zuma, Zondo play the waiting game

The former president says he will talk once the courts have ruled, but the head of the state capture inquiry appears resigned to letting the clock run out as the commission's deadline nears
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…