Staff Reporter
No image available
/ 22 October 2007

DA calls for plan to attract investment

The government needed to take a series of firm and decisive steps to attract the direct foreign investment needed for job-creating economic growth, the Democratic Alliance (DA) spokesperson on trade and industry, Dr Pierre Rabie, said on Monday. In a statement, Rabie listed ten ”action steps” needed to make the South African economy more competitive.

No image available
/ 22 October 2007

‘I never used the hammer’

Murder accused Fred van der Vyver told the Cape High Court on Monday that he never used the ornamental hammer that the state says could have been a murder weapon. Van der Vyver, accused of bludgeoning his student girlfriend Inge Lotz to death in her Stellenbosch flat in 2005, was starting his second day of cross-examination.

No image available
/ 22 October 2007

Euro hits new high against dollar

The euro rose to a new all-time high against the dollar on Monday after a weekend meeting of the Group of Seven finance ministers ended without a clear statement of concern about the 13-nation currency’s strength. The euro rose as high as ,4348 in Asian trading, breaking a previous record of ,4319, set on Friday.

No image available
/ 22 October 2007

DRC warlord to appear before ICC

Congolese militia leader Germain Katanga, accused of massacres, using child soldiers and turning women into sex slaves, is to make his first appearance on Monday before the International Criminal Court (ICC). Katanga (29) arrived in The Hague on Thursday after being handed over to the ICC by Congolese authorities in Kinshasa.

No image available
/ 22 October 2007

SA vow to bounce back against Pakistan

South Africa coach Mickey Arthur said on Monday the team was confident of bouncing back in the one-day series against Pakistan after losing the second match last week. ”Lifting the team after the loss is not difficult at all and it will not be an issue,” said Arthur ahead of the third match on Tuesday.

No image available
/ 22 October 2007

DRC fighting ends as army pushes back rebels

The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) army said on Monday it had resumed control of an eastern town seized by rebel forces over the weekend and the heavy fighting between the two sides had ended. Forces loyal to renegade general Laurent Nkunda confirmed the clashes in the eastern Nord-Kivu region were over, and said they were waiting to hear about possible talks.