A post template

No image available
/ 28 March 2006

DRC elections pushed back again

The Democratic Republic of Congo’s (DRC) long-delayed elections have been pushed back again, at least week beyond the earlier scheduled June 18 date, an Electoral Commission spokesperson said on Tuesday. The vote is to be the first in decades in this sprawling and war-ravaged Central African country.

No image available
/ 28 March 2006

New Swazi firebombing targets police flat

A police officer’s flat was firebombed in Swaziland in the first such incident since the release on bail of 16 opposition members accused of staging a string of arson attacks, an official said on Tuesday. The attack on Monday targeted an apartment in eastern Swaziland, about 200km from the capital, Mbabane, police said.

No image available
/ 28 March 2006

Eriksson tops Real’s magnificent-seven list

Real Madrid have included England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson and Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho on a seven-man shortlist from which they hope to find a replacement for Juan Ramon Lopez Caro. Four English-based managers and three Italians appear on the shortlist, announced by Real Madrid president Fernando Martin on Monday.

No image available
/ 28 March 2006

Nasa revives mission to explore huge asteroids

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (Nasa) on Monday revived a project to send a probe to explore two of the solar system’s biggest asteroids, nearly four weeks after the Dawn mission had been cancelled due to cost overruns and technical glitches. The probe would travel to the huge Vesta and Ceres asteroids orbiting the sun between Mars and Jupiter.

No image available
/ 28 March 2006

Zuma’s lawyer: Why didn’t she say no?

Jacob Zuma’s rape trial discharge application resumed on Tuesday with his lawyer questioning why his accuser ignored a number of what his defence team regard to be sexual messages. A 31-year-old close family friend has alleged that the former deputy president raped her at his home on November 2.

No image available
/ 28 March 2006

Chinese evacuees remain stranded after blast

Thousands of people in south-west China, who were evacuated after a weekend gas explosion, remained unable to return home on Tuesday with dangerous gas still leaking, officials said. The explosion on Saturday in Chongqing municipality led to the evacuation of 11 500 people from villages near the site of the leak.