A post template

No image available
/ 20 May 2005

Congo battles Ebola outbreak

Authorities in the Congo have quarantined two north-western districts hit by the deadly Ebola virus to ensure the highly contagious disease does not spread, officials said on Friday. The two districts — Etoumbi, where eight deaths were recorded, and Mbomo, where a ninth person died — were sealed off on Wednesday.

No image available
/ 20 May 2005

DA hits out at minister’s ‘racist tantrum’

The ”racist tantrum” thrown by Deputy Minister of Minerals and Energy Lulu Xingwana in Parliament will hurt black South Africans as much as whites by discouraging investor confidence in the country, Democratic Alliance leader Tony Leon said on Friday. He said it is necessary for all to raise their voices against what Xingwana said.

No image available
/ 20 May 2005

New hitch in Ugandan peace efforts

The Ugandan army said on Friday it has killed a senior Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) commander who attended the first-ever direct talks with the government last year, throwing new doubts into halting peace efforts. Mediators and local leaders have been trying to lure the rebels back to peace talks amid a surge in brutal LRA violence.

No image available
/ 20 May 2005

End in sight for SA’s ageing taxis

The Cabinet will finalise the roll-out plan of the taxi-recapitalisation process by the end of next month — but the transport minister has promised that the much-delayed scrapping of currently ageing vehicles ”will commence this financial year”. He was speaking in his Budget vote in an extended public committee on Friday.