A post template

No image available
/ 30 July 2004

Navy workhorse bows out

The South African Navy’s long-serving workhorse, the SAS Outeniqua, is being formally retired from the service on Friday — though she still has a lot of life left in her. The decommissioning of the 12-year old vessel marks a shift in the navy’s capability and spending priorities resulting in part from its acquisition of new corvettes.

No image available
/ 30 July 2004

Daily News ruling postponed again

A Zimbabwe court on Friday postponed until later this year a ruling in the case in which four directors of the popular independent Daily News are charged with illegally publishing the newspaper. Directors Samuel Nkomo, Brian Mutsau, Rachel Kupara and Michael Mattinson were ordered to return to court on September 20.

No image available
/ 30 July 2004

The new face of Aids in Uganda

The women of the Kawempe Positive Women’s Union are among the new faces of the HIV/Aids epidemic in Uganda. The recent Aids conference in Bangkok, Thailand, shed light on the growing feminisation of HIV: 57% of those infected in sub-Saharan Africa are women. And 75% of the young people infected are females aged 15 to 24.

No image available
/ 30 July 2004

Quake jolts eastern Turkey

Six people were injured on Friday when an earthquake measuring 4,6 on the Richter scale shook the eastern Turkish town of Dogubeyazit close to the border with Iran, a local official said. The tremor, which caused minor damage, struck at 10.14am local time with an epicentre 18km north-east of the town.

No image available
/ 30 July 2004

‘Corrupt’ prison boss acquitted

Former Grootvlei prison director Tatolo Setlai has been acquitted of corruption charges. Setlai had been charged with acting ”’grossly negligently” in allowing a prisoner and others at the prison to produce a video showing footage of wardens procuring sex with minors for prisoners and involved in other illegal actions.

No image available
/ 30 July 2004

‘Confession’ dismissed in Kenyan terror trial

A magistrate on Friday dismissed a ”confession” from prosecution evidence in the trial of three Kenyans charged with plotting terror attacks in the country, a defence lawyer said. Salmin Mohammed Khamis, Mohammed Kubwa Seif and Said Saggar Ahmed are accused of plotting the 1998 bombing of the US embassy in Nairobi, when 213 people died.

No image available
/ 30 July 2004

Telkom ignores anti-competitive claims

Telecommunications giant Telkom will go ahead with its plans to acquire South Africa’s fourth-largest internet service provider in the dial-up market, Tiscali SA, allegedly for R400-million despite "strong opposition" from a number of industry players. The Internet Service Providers’ Association has accused Telkom of being anti-competitive.