Professional blaster Deric Barrett convicted last year of culpable homicide for a deadly explosion at his Villieria home in 2000, was previously found guilty of a related crime, the Pretoria Regional Court heard on Wednesday.
Zambian police on Wednesday barred supporters of former president Frederick Chiluba from holding a protest against his successor, President Levy Mwanawasa, whom they accuse of bias in his fight against corruption.
Once-forgotten Angola is suddenly fielding calls from US President George Bush and other leaders, hosting diplomats and apparently collecting pledges of aid as the world lobbies for its UN Security Council vote on the Iraq issue.
South African jewellery manufacturers plan to secure a bigger share of the estimated -billion global market for jewellery products with the launch of a Joint Action Group in Midrand on Wednesday.
Zimbabwe will soon amend its controversial media laws in a bid to ‘rationalise’ them, Information Minister Jonathan Moyo said on Wednesday.
Health Minister Alain Moka is leading a high-level delegation to the Department of Kelle, the Cuvette-Ouest Region of the Republic of Congo, to reassure residents of government’s efforts to overcome the Ebola haemorrhagic fever that broke out there almost one month ago.
South Africa’s Industrial Participation programme linked to the modernisation and downsizing of the SA Air Force with Hawk and Gripen jet aircraft has created another 700 jobs, this time through a multi-million dollar investment in jewellery manufacturing in the Free State goldfields.
The Congress of South African Trade Unions on Wednesday added its voice to criticism of plans by electricity utility Eskom to increase its tariffs for electricity by more than the rate of inflation, possibly by as much as 16%.
African Union and Non-Aligned Movement countries serving on the United Nations’ Security Council must abide by their respective organisations’ views on Iraq rather than bow to pressure, Deputy Minister Aziz Pahad said on Wednesday.
South African President Thabo Mbeki has ruled out a commission of inquiry into allegations that Deputy President Jacob Zuma took a bribe in connection with the multi-billion rand arms deal.